Algae or Bacteria?

Bob

CAM00247_zpsr9o7tv9s.jpg

I had to pull this hairgrass out of my 40 because its caked in this stuff. I'd like to find a way to save it, but its almost impossible to separate it.

JimmyZ

Doesn't look like blue/green algae? Suppose you could try an antibiotic and see what happens, have you tired killing the lights for a few days?

Bob

I had the lights off for three days and nothing changed. I have tore it out and its floating in a bucket with a lid. So ill check it in a day or two. What kind of antibiotic should i try?

JimmyZ

Erythromycin might work? It's what I used on a Cyno-bacteria out break I recently had, got rid of it over night. Pretty sure it's not what you have going on. That being said it can't hurt to try either.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say that is algae not a bacteria. If you could get a few true freshwater healthy mollies they'd clean it up. Otherwise some flag fish would too but might do damage to some of the finer leaf plants while they work it.

flamechica

I feel for you Vick. I have a mess going on in one of my tanks right now. I just chucked some hair grass over it yesterday. I don't know what it is. I have some stuff that looks like that in your pic and stuff that kinda looks like blue green algae as well in the same tank. It's a mess. I wanted to tear down the tank, but it sits next to my hubby's chair and he made a sad face when I said that. I can't seem to get the issue under control.

LuminousAphid

I have some similar stuff in one tank, I keep trying to get rid of it but it comes back from nothing every time. I don't know if you'll be able to save the plant, but I would try manually tearing out as much as you can to see if you can get the plant to grow healthy, then you might have to repeat later.

I don't know about Marysville water specifically, but I think with our changing seasons we get a lot of fluctuation in mineral content of the water- especially since it's runoff and not groundwater, since all of our water comes from reservoirs. I have wondered why my tanks occasionally break out with issues like this, and that's what I am beginning to suspect as the culprit. Do you use municipal water?

pbmax

Looks like hair algae.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fre ... _algae.php

I had that stuff in a couple of tanks a while back... I either tossed the plants or re-did the tank, I can't remember exactly. :(

I'm suffering from cladophora algae in most of my tanks now... nasty stuff. I'm sure it's great for water quality but boy does it muck up my tanks.

Bob

I forgot about this. I pulled out the plants and put them in a five gallon bucket with a lid in the garage. I just went and looked, this stuff is still growing strong in pitch black cold weather......