Albino Corydora Long Gasps of Air?

ive had this Corydora for a while now. The previous owner said that she has had him for over 4 years before she gave him to me, and only recently have I noticed it doing this odd behavior. It's definitely derpy looking (deformed somewhat) but that never really disabled him to do anything he wanted.

I shot a video of it gasping at the waters surface, it will go back down to the lower levels but then he will swim back up to the surface. It's weird. Could it just be old age?

You'll also notice that all my other corydoras are acting normal. The other albino corydoras also came from the same owner that the air gasping one came from. So I can't really justify that something is wrong with my water quality...

http://youtu.be/lvjx1sArcXo

Ali

I'm a total newbie but cories are something I'm at least somewhat familiar with. Certainly never seen or heard of that before, that sure is strange behavior! I'm really curious to see what other folks post.

I saw the fire dancing link in your signature, that's really incredible. Must be one heck of a hobby!

Bob

I have a really large Agassizzi that does this same thing. Been doing it for months. He will hang out for a few minutes doing this. Seems perfectly normal otherwise.

Ali said:
I'm a total newbie but cories are something I'm at least somewhat familiar with. Certainly never seen or heard of that before, that sure is strange behavior! I'm really curious to see what other folks post.

I saw the fire dancing link in your signature, that's really incredible. Must be one heck of a hobby!

I'm familiar with Corydoras in general shooting straight up towards the surface and then swimming straight back down, which is normal. But yeah, I've never experienced this kind of behavior before, with fish in general, unless they're gasping for air for obvious reasons (depleted oxygen in water, etc...) which is certainly not the case in my tank. hahaha!

As for the fire spinning, it's definitely a fun hobby, that's for sure! We have another fire spinner in our group, but his FishBox name is escaping me at the moment. :?:

Vicmacki said:
I have a really large Agassizzi that does this same thing. Been doing it for months. He will hang out for a few minutes doing this. Seems perfectly normal otherwise.

Hmmm... makes me wonder if it's just an old age thing, like when people become senile, their brains just aren't... "in the right spot" so to speak. Good to know that he's not the only one that's doing this odd behavior!