airation

rattle1972

i kinda wanted to know what people are doing to airate there tanks. i am using a pwerhead on my 125, and i have nothing but problems with it. then i am using simple airstones also. those seem to work fine. but i have airpumps coming out of everywere. and the constant humm is going to drive me insane!

i know there has to be other options. what are you using???

protocl

I don't use airstone and the like. Except when I'm QT'ing a fish.
I simply rely on surface agitation.

What fishes are you keeping?

Ashley

If you use a canister filter just move the outtake up so it is making ripples across the tank. A HOB filter should be airating the water too

hbluehunter

I know in my tank i'm running one big air disc and 2 sponge filters. I know the sound can get a little irritating but i just deal with it.. Plus i have my FX5's return's aimed up a little to get lots of surface movement.

Ashley

Also, I'm trying to figure out why you are having problems with your power heads? I have never had any problems. If you are worried about all the air line you could always paint the back of your tank black (which I think looks so much better anyways) and then get the black air hose. Hides it pretty well

rattle1972

the powerhead kinda hicups alot on the airflow. and then this morning wasnt blowing any air out. checked the hose and made sure it was clear. took the powerhead apart cleaned it all up. put it back in still no airflow... there is still current coming out of it. just not air. so i stuck a airpump to the hose and its blowing out air now. but its just one more airpump humming its way into my sanity.

i will try the canister filters pointing up when i get home. i usually point them down to try to keep some current on the bottom of tank. i would rather hear water then the airpump humm

sandnuka

I have 1 HOB on every tank in my home, as well as a canister or sump..... Anyway, I drop the water level in the tank.... this causes I nice lil waterfall from the HOB into the tank... works GREAT! dont have any airpumps on any of my tanks... well except the one that uses a sponge filter for fry :)

A

Anonymous

I have 2 HUGEEEEEE sponge filters in the 180 working of a big whisper air pump, the sump return line is out of the water and the HOB cascades down. Plenty of surface agitation and aeration.

icer711

two options one replace your air pump with a air pod very quiet air pump and fairly inexpensive or switch to a sump with bio balls and you will get aeration that way
Air-Pod+Aquarium+up+to+75+Gallons+Air+Pump.jpg