African cichlid keepers

Livebearer Lady

I'm trying out Astatotilapia burtoni a "riverine" species from eastern Africa that is a mouth brooder.
Are Very colorful in dominate males and only reaches 4+ ". I have too many young 20+ and if anyone wants to try these out send me a P.M.

Betty

Staff member
Wish I had the tank space to try the burtoni. I used to keep Astatotilapia calliptera. Pretty fish!

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Yellow labs, Haplochromis Brownae, OB's

Africans got me back into the hobby.

Seahawks!

150 Gallon Cichlid Tank
3 OB Mbuna
2 0B Peacock
1 Maingano
18 Cobalt Blue Zebra
10 Ugly Yellow Lab hybrids :(
3 Female Yellow Lab
1 White Lab
4 Zebra Obliquidens (Astatotilapia latifasciata)

Other Tankmates:
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Royal Pleco
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
2 Clown Loach
2 Sun cat

Plants:
Java Fern

Planted 150 Gallon Mbuna Aquarium by mrdillpickle, on Flickr

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'm trying out Astatotilapia burtoni a "riverine" species from eastern Africa that is a mouth brooder.
Are Very colorful in dominate males and only reaches 4+ ". I have too many young 20+ and if anyone wants to try these out send me a P.M.

Those are gorgeous! I have no room for such creatures, however. I gotta reel this MTS in.

Betty

Staff member
It's nice to see there are still a few African keepers around.

Nice looking tank, Seahawks! I'm amazed you can keep plants with those mbuna.

Seahawks!

It's nice to see there are still a few African keepers around.

Nice looking tank, Seahawks! I'm amazed you can keep plants with those mbuna.

Thanks! The fish do not touch the java fern, but the plants seem to melt and grow at the same rate. This is my first planted tank. I adopted the setup from Craigslist back in April. I am trying to switch from reef keeping to freshwater. I did not realize there were so many options in freshwater. I have been eyeballing tropheus, cherry shrimp, puffers, pipefish..... It is hard to just have one tank.

Betty

Staff member
I did not realize there were so many options in freshwater. I have been eyeballing tropheus, cherry shrimp, puffers, pipefish..... It is hard to just have one tank.
True... I have 13 running with mostly African cichlids.

finray56

If you like African cichlids just a heads up as I am going to be downsizing tanks and will have plenty of Tropheus, Petrochromis and other fish available soonish. I've been breeding Tropheus for nearly 10 years now and I'm ready for a change. My breeding stock will also be available. I will probably have a couple of tanks available as well once I move my fish. I'm going to mainly focus on my 210 and have an all male show tank.
If you are interested in specifics you can always pm me.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
If you like African cichlids just a heads up as I am going to be downsizing tanks and will have plenty of Tropheus, Petrochromis and other fish available soonish. I've been breeding Tropheus for nearly 10 years now and I'm ready for a change. My breeding stock will also be available. I will probably have a couple of tanks available as well once I move my fish. I'm going to mainly focus on my 210 and have an all male show tank.

View attachment 3522 View attachment 3523

I would kill for those tropheu:eek:s :eek::eek:

If only I didnt live 13000 miles away QQ

JimmyZ

150 Gallon Cichlid Tank
3 OB Mbuna
2 0B Peacock
1 Maingano
18 Cobalt Blue Zebra
10 Ugly Yellow Lab hybrids :(
3 Female Yellow Lab
1 White Lab
4 Zebra Obliquidens (Astatotilapia latifasciata)

Other Tankmates:
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Royal Pleco
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
2 Clown Loach
2 Sun cat

Plants:
Java Fern

Planted 150 Gallon Mbuna Aquarium by mrdillpickle, on Flickr

That tank is very nice looking, all the while screaming for a black background!

JimmyZ

I am still happy with the Kasanga Rainbows, thought about selling them awhile back glad I didn't!
Thinking of changing the tank up this weekend the fish need a little excitement in their lives.

[/quote]

Seahawks!

I am still happy with the Kasanga Rainbows, thought about selling them awhile back glad I didn't!
Thinking of changing the tank up this weekend the fish need a little excitement in their lives.

[/QUOTE]
That setup is awesome. Is it all Rainbows or do you have other fish in there?

JimmyZ

Yes they are all Rainbows, around 50 of them. I have read that Mbuna's and Tropheus would be a no no. But guessing if the tank was in the 400 gallon range and big enough it would probably work.
Specially with labs or some other mellower fish though they are from a different lake.

Seahawks!

View attachment 3522 View attachment 3523

What are small black fish with white dots in the back of the tank called? I will definitely be drooling when you start posting fish for sale. I am trying to stick to one tank. My tank is pretty loaded with mbuna right now.