Advice Jewel Cichlid with Severum and silver dollars

hyp3rcrav3

I have a tank with 3 Turquoise Severum and 3 Silver Dollars. I was wondering if a trio of Jewel cichlids, Hemichromis lifalili, (a pair if sexable) would be compatible in the same tank. Anybody have experience with them?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have a 6” severum that lived with 13 red jewels hemichromis bimaculatus. They all got along great, though they were in a 220g tank.

I will say that I’ve owned most of the jewels and they are fairly aggressive but the only ones that are truly killers are the five spot jewels … hemichromis fasciatus, hemichromis frempongi, and to a lesser extent, the hemichromis elogatus

hyp3rcrav3

I have looked into it and I believe if I only get two, my tank will support them. I have two male Turquoise Severum, although one is a runt and is mostly left alone by his big brother/cousin(?) and the one female. They are starting to get old enough to find living interesting. I'm setting up a safety/breeding tank soon. I think the Hemichromis lifalili are one of the mellower species so I'm going to give them a try.