~~~Acting Shy~~~

Wolf-Keeper1

So I recently made changes to my tank. I let go of a a couple fish in my 100 gallon. But now the king/queen of the tank is acting all shy and hiding. It is my dovii and it ruled the tank undisputed. But like I said now it's all shy and hiding. There is still a large pleco and two small dovii in the tank so it isn't alone.

Is this normal?

sandnuka

very normal... changing around the kings kingdom takes away allot of there sting... thats why you here people change around there tank when aggression starts to get out of control.... give it some time he will be his usuall self when he gets used to his new enviroment.

rattle1972

ya not always... my festae if i have just 2-4 of them in a tank. they hide and get skitish... then i put 3 or 4 other fish in they immediatly come out.. throw in a couple more fish and see what happens

Wolf-Keeper1

rattle1972 said:
ya not always... my festae if i have just 2-4 of them in a tank. they hide and get skitish... then i put 3 or 4 other fish in they immediatly come out.. throw in a couple more fish and see what happens

To be honest I pulled the other fish before my dovii got too big. I didn't want the other fish to get killed cause they were some nice looking fish. Could some time cure the shyness?

sandnuka

did he get shy after you pulled the fish? or just when you re-arranged everything? I would say he will be cool after time, but I never had the issue rattle had.

Wolf-Keeper1

Oh. I didn't rearrange the tank just pulled some fish. And it did happen right after that. The fish where gone Wednesday and the shyness happened yesterday. Oh and I think it's a she no blue at all. But hides behind decor. Isn't out and about like usual and now not even eating. And I just spent 16.00 on 2.5 ounces of massivor.

rattle1972

i still think its because you only have 3 fish in there. when i brought my ornatums home, they went in a 30 gal with a bocourti and the urothalmus. they were fine. they would swim around and not act shy at all. when i moved them into the 75 they were alone. they hid and would never come out. put in the other two, and they were fine. , the 100 gal was teh same...set it up. but in two festae, hiding and wouldnt eat. put in a larger jaguar, 2 convicts and another festae,,, everything fine.

my 125 eats the best, the least skitish, no problems at all. and it has the most fish in there. 4 festae, 5 umbees, 1 jaguar, 1 green terror, 1 losellei all ranging from 3" to 10". i only start to have issues if i start taking fish out.

you could always run down to that store, try to pick up some more mayan cichlids, and if it dosnt work i will buy them off ya! :D

Wolf-Keeper1

Lol i just gave my mayan to HALP and gave the Pike to Alottadollas. I'll find some small dithers to throw in and get the dovii out of it's shell again. It seems the majority of the advice I'm getting is calling for that. Thanks for everyones help. I'm going to see if it'll eat some food now. It's weird the two small dovii dont even care the other fish are gone, there too busy flaring there gills at one another lol