Acara Article

dwarfpike

Is it bad that I actually have this article in the AFM issue it was originally released in?  :oops: 

Wayne is a great guy, and his articles in that series are hilarious but still with great info. Anyone into SA cichlids should hunt down the appropriate one for their cichlids.  :spoton: 

They are sometimes difficult to find online though, so amazing catch Donna!!

cichlid-gal

dwarfpike said:
Is it bad that I actually have this article in the AFM issue it was originally released in?  :oops: 

Wayne is a great guy, and his articles in that series are hilarious but still with great info. Anyone into SA cichlids should hunt down the appropriate one for their cichlids.  :spoton: 

They are sometimes difficult to find online though, so amazing catch Donna!!
Awww...really? No of course that is not bad but surprising as the article showed the citation as today (8/1/14) and updated today. I thought it was a new article or had new information for you guys :(

dwarfpike

Oh, it's updated with the new names and such ... back when it first came out, sp. bucklekopf and sp. orangeflossen hadn't been described yet. So it's neat seeing the updated version. Plus the naming stuff at the end is new.

But the original article came out in the early 90's ... '91 I think. He covered every genus of SA cichlids during the series, which ran from 90-96-ish or so.

Still, as I said, very hard to find the online versions of it. Mine magazines are in storage atm, so it's nice to know I don't have to go and try to dig them out now for these guys, so it's still a great find!!!  :spoton: 

Chiisai

Hmm according to this article group buy we got was curviceps and not laetacara araguaiae. Good article none the less! Now the question is what to do with all the fry? Lol my pair is breeding at balck convict speeds! 8) 

dwarfpike

Yours are definitely L. araguaiae Chiisai ... L. curviceps don't have that downward turn of the lateral line onto the gill plate the way L. araguaiae do. It's the stand out diagnostic for the species.

Chiisai

Btw anyone found any pics of the acara as fry? I have been searching and searching and it would seem i can find good pictures of fry from any other kind of fish. Just wondering if i should be taking pictures for others.