A different bottom feeder

lilfishie

I just got 5 of these guys. They are pretty cool. He is getting ready to set himself in the substrate. He will reach down into the rock and then pull himself up on edge.

IMG_0431.jpg

lilfishie

shua said:
i want some but i think gars eat them.... not to sure
These guys are 3-3.5" long Pretty good sized but could still get eaten. I'll get pics up tonight of them. They moved and partially burried them selves in the rock.

lilfishie

Yes they are clams. They will move around the tank and clean the substrate and filters nutrients out of the water.
This is the same clam as the first pic.
IMG_0481.jpg

These are two different ones
IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

footbllplyr19

Where did you get them at? I ordered a couple off of a guy from ebay, they all arrived dead. But fortunatly I was able to get my money back. I had some before, but they came out of lake washington during Sea Fair, I dont plan on going back up any time soon. Let me know!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
mmm.... clam chowder.

Err, I mean cool idea, never thought of adding clams to the aquarium.

shua

i could add them to my sumps they would be safe there do you know how they breed or anything else about them?

lilfishie

I know, this isnt freshwater but I just have to share since every one is wantinig clam soup....I took this guy to work with me the day I picked him up. They all wanted to eat him and 8 months later he is 2 inches bigger and everyone still wants to know when they are having clam chowder. He is currently 8" long. He is about 7" long in this pic.

DSC05059.jpg

A

Anonymous

hey what kind of clam is that, looks like gigas but idk much bout clams. also, you think a snowflake eel would pick at one?

lilfishie

teddyzaper said:
hey what kind of clam is that, looks like gigas but idk much bout clams. also, you think a snowflake eel would pick at one?
This is a squamosa clam and one at least 3-4 inches should be fine with a snowflake. Eels tend to go more for shrimp and other small crustations. I have a dwarf golden moray in the same tank.