A couple of “other” pics of some cichlids tonight

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
0FAF9B82-5D25-41D9-8618-6C5CBC75760C.jpeg 10B4C89A-5279-43B8-B989-291270AE9C6A.jpeg B0DD3E52-B247-495E-804A-7AC595173221.jpeg I know I know, I should have turned out the garage lights to avoid the reflections , but I didn’t want to spook them ...

17-18” wild caught Rio Clara male umbee

8” Rio blanco RTM male
6.5” Rio blanco RTM female
Both rtm came from shawn hyden in OKC and are from unrelated pairs
Umbee came from Chris Craig in California

sir_keith

Legendary Member
And now for something completely different, from Lake Tanganyika...

Enantiopus kilesa (wild-caught)-

IMGP6566R1.jpg

Ophthalmotilapia nasuta 'Kipili" Gold (wild-caught, now producing F1 fry)-

IMGP6613R3.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, if I understand correctly the RTM’s start at about 3” to show sexing characteristics. Males will start showing spotting on gill plates?

Im guessing the largest of the three I got from you is male just due to its growth rate but still to small to tell.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Those are amazing! The color is so vibrant and your pics are amazing.

Thanks! I love the Xeno's and their relatives, and also the featherfins; they're challenging but fun. The 125 that houses the fishes shown in the pics is in my TV room, across from a large window, and iridescent fishes like Xenotilapia and Enantiopus are really beautiful in natural light. They're also pretty in the evening, under blue actinic lighting, and there are all kinds of behaviours during twilight that you don't see in daytime. Speaking of iridescent fishes, I have a group of 12 F1 Xenotilapia flavipinnis 'Kekese' Red Royal combing next week. Really excited to get these. :)

Xeno_flavipinnis_red_royal_01.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Two more pics of my one and only hybrid..... the one where I zoomed in appears to show this fish with more yellow. I assume that’s due to the camera on my phone filtering out the garage lights when I zoomed in.
22D9585F-E1E3-43D2-AF7B-589DA4F0B335.jpeg E8A7ECBB-6945-4377-82E9-C2E429C1EE49.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Will be interesting to see what the hybrid turns out like. Jag sized or dovii sized...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Will be interesting to see what the hybrid turns out like. Jag sized or dovii sized...
A guy named Juan on Facebook has a Dovii jag cross thats 11”. He just posted this pic tonight. I’m so hopeful mine develops some blues in the fins.

On a separate note, I added the chocolate pleco to his tank and tonight he has a cut in his tail.... I wouldn’t guess it was the pleco, but he didn’t have any cuts prior to adding his tank mate
9D684E61-1DE8-463A-BA71-12F27797F7B0.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
May have just been an accident with the cichlid checking out the pleco and it reacted somehow. Pleco might have just been acting defensively.