A bit of a rant....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I went into work to feed my fish today ( a junior high school) to find that the boiler in the school went out sometime after I was there last Friday ..... they were fixing it today while I was there. But that’s not the rant.....

my room was a balmy 41 degrees when I walked in today at noon and I noticed a particular odor that only a fish keeper that’s been on vacation would realize. Yup, dead fish!

my heater apparently crapped out during the five days I was away and during the time the boiler was down . The tank felt like it was glacier fed! Fish had slime growing on them so I’m thinking they had been dead for a few days. Both filters were still working though.
Total lost: heater ( but I’ll replace it with the one I got fromDMD), 5x adult delhizi bichirs ( sized 13-14.5”) and my two Frontosa ( just hanging out in the tank waiting for my local fish store to make room for them ) sized 4” and 6”.

I’m not sure if the heater just crapped out from age ( only two years old) or if because my room was so cold it worked like crazy to keep the heat up ultimately causing it to fail. I’ll never know.

but I do know that this sucked as I loved those bichirs!!!!! And I had to spend an extra 1.5 hours today gravel vacuuming and draining and then filling it back up. I’m going to bring in a new heater and new media tomorrow for the tank and will bring in some fish early next week ( once I decide what to replace them with..... my students loved the bichirs so new fish need to be equally as cool)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, both of you! It was definitely a gut punch.

but on the same not as the original rant, the gut punches keep coming as after I split up my rtm, I decided to move my female to my 180 growout tank and I put the male in with my slightly smaller but nicer male rtm.... long story short; the female got her butt kicked and the male was taken out by the smaller male. That’s another bad decision on my part..... move fish and then go run errands with the family.

on the bright side, I still have a lot of great fish and they are all getting along really well ( let’s hope that didn’t jinx anything)

whatthebloody

Sorry! Thats awesome you have a tank in your room at the school, bet its the funnest room there. Dont give up! I say blame the family for making that happen and get a bunch of new fish and tanks. Well actually, no, I dont advise that

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry! Thats awesome you have a tank in your room at the school, bet its the funnest room there. Dont give up! I say blame the family for making that happen and get a bunch of new fish and tanks. Well actually, no, I dont advise that
Haha, too funny!

Betty

Staff member
I've had a few heater related mass deaths and I know how it sucks! Sorry you lost some nice fish. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So far the heater malfunctions I have had have always been the shut off/stop working and I have been able to catch it in time and put in a new heater before it was an issue. Ive never had the heater stick on and the temps get out of control into the 90's like some.

I know I would pay good money for a quality heater that I know would last but it seems like even the high end ones have about the same failure rate. Looking at tons of heaters on Amazon and comparing the reviews (1 star) it seems like the rate of failed heaters across almost all brands is about 15%. Even the trustworthy Eheim have had issues. The Aqueon Pro seems to have gone downhill too.

In my tanks I have Eheim, Fluval E series and SERA which have been doing well but I know I should probably be replacing the SERA soon. I can see condensation inside them and plastic on the heater guards is starting to break down.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going thru a "replace cheap (jebo) heaters from 2016 with decent (aqua one) heaters" phase. Same deal, always the thermostat sticking on or off. Preferably off... I suspect a few tanks probably spent MONTHS at room temp (explains some lethargic guppies) . Stuck on and your essentially garunteed fish soup.

Ah yes, that distinct smell that has burned itself a traumatic hole in our olfactory areas lol.

I think these days a lot of heaters have overload circuitry that prevents overheats. Similar to cellphone batteries.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I recently got the newer Eheim thermocontrol-e heaters and I like them quite a bit. Seems much smoother than the older tru Temp ones. I am also interested in the thermo preset, I like the look of them. Though I think these may only end up in Europe.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I have found with my worldly interactions the equipment that is most different world over is heaters, with the exception being eheim which are everywhere. If I had a very expensive fish I'd settle for nothing except eheim.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Yeah I have found with my worldly interactions the equipment that is most different world over is heaters, with the exception being eheim which are everywhere. If I had a very expensive fish I'd settle for nothing except eheim.
Same here. I've had my share of heater disasters over the years, but never an issue with Eheim.