Free 9 inch normal pleco

FishBeast

It'll be tough to give away, much less sell for any price. Look in the "adoption tanks" in any Petsmart or Petco and you will see at least one large pleco that outgrew or outpooped its tank. Best option would be give to a pet store (if they will take it) or get a bigger tank that is at least 6 feet by 2 feet (it grows to 18" easily) and commit to keeping it long term (lives 15 to 20 years).

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@FishBeast - that's the bummer about common plecos - they get BIG. I got a bristlenose over here that started out a wee wee wee 2" and he's now a full 7" and growing. I'll move him into Tankie's big tank when he gets one.

My daughter's common pleco was found to be dining on her dead betta -- another thread here -- and she immediately wanted to dispose of him. She was mad. She can't give him away and the pet stores in WA DC won't take him back. I think they should stop selling these for small tanks or as suitable "for any size aquarium". It's misleading. Had she asked me, I would have told her not to get it. Now, she's going to pack it home with her when she comes to visit. He has a name and stuff so.... what ya gonna do?

FishBeast

@FishBeast - that's the bummer about common plecos - they get BIG. I got a bristlenose over here that started out a wee wee wee 2" and he's now a full 7" and growing. I'll move him into Tankie's big tank when he gets one.

My daughter's common pleco was found to be dining on her dead betta -- another thread here -- and she immediately wanted to dispose of him. She was mad. She can't give him away and the pet stores in WA DC won't take him back. I think they should stop selling these for small tanks or as suitable "for any size aquarium". It's misleading. Had she asked me, I would have told her not to get it. Now, she's going to pack it home with her when she comes to visit. He has a name and stuff so.... what ya gonna do?
Exactly! They are cheap and cute when they are small... That's how I wound up with a Red Belly Pacu. He's a foot long now at 11 months. :confused:

Soundline

This guy is 5 years old, and I have contemplated putting him in the 46 but like you said he poops so much it's crazy, it will be planted and he if rough on the plants.

I did call my lfs and they are really both wiling to take him, or trade him for other fish. I won't take him to a petco or petsmart. I'd hold onto him before doing that.

So guess he's free to a good home.

FishBeast

This guy is 5 years old, and I have contemplated putting him in the 46 but like you said he poops so much it's crazy, it will be planted and he if rough on the plants.

I did call my lfs and they are really both wiling to take him, or trade him for other fish. I won't take him to a petco or petsmart. I'd hold onto him before doing that.

So guess he's free to a good home.
Good on you, my friend. You are doing the responsible thing by looking for a good home for him! Some people just toss their monster plecos into streams or ponds to die. In the warmer states they have become invasive because of this "method" of getting rid of them.

Chain pet stores should stop selling these fish. Or at least show these photos to anyone who wants to buy one!
79541e874fd535c8053f54c0aeb03b28.jpg Record Pleco.jpg

Soundline

Holy cow. Yea I agree.

We have a feeder goldfish in our tank now which I know can also get huge, cause we have a giant pond that is about 20 ft deep and God only knows how long on our property we will be releasing him into it eventually, we put about 50 out there this summer and they are getting huge and still thriving, just wanted to put one in my tank for a bit. Lol

Wonder how the pleco would do since either contained woukd the have to worry about them repopulating. (Man made pond)

FishBeast

Holy cow. Yea I agree.

We have a feeder goldfish in our tank now which I know can also get huge, cause we have a giant pond that is about 20 ft deep and God only knows how long on our property we will be releasing him into it eventually, we put about 50 out there this summer and they are getting huge and still thriving, just wanted to put one in my tank for a bit. Lol

Wonder how the pleco would do since either contained woukd the have to worry about them repopulating. (Man made pond)
You'd have to bring him in over the winter, but he will definitely grow MASSIVE in your pond. One strategy is keep him in a 300 gallon stock tank in your garage or basement with a heater and adequate filtration, then set him loose in the pond from spring to fall.

Now here's the thing... Since your pond is deep and the winters here are mild, it is POSSIBLE he'll survive wintering in it. Not saying you should test it out, nor am I saying it's good for the fish's health, but people have done it. :)

Soundline

That's amazing! Think we might give it a try afterms we do the same and add some caves for protection for them.