$850

LuminousAphid

$850

Well, I was looking over some info on RCS, and don't remember how I stumbled across this page (I know, it's a CRS not RCS), but this is outrageous- and someone from Germany bought it, apparently:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195447
IMG_2180.png

Why?!? I guess the answer to that is "because some people have way too much money for their own good," but even if I was in that situation, I could not see myself spending as near as makes no difference a thousand dollars on a single 3/4" shrimp. Would these types of crazy "high end" shrimp likely be used by someone as a base for a breeding line, or just for pure show?

Granted, it does look nice, but... it's a shrimp.

What is the most expensive shrimp you have bought? For me it was an $8 bamboo shrimp, which I shouldn't have bought in the first place, as my tank wasn't established enough for it to find enough food.

MRTom

Re: $850

I have to edit my post :) After properly reading the Japanese, it says you get 3 shrimp for that price (still over 400 bucks per shrimp). ... And if you pay by wire transfer, you can get a discount to bring the price down to about 850, or $283 per shrimp...

Still... I can't begin to imagine how this must feel... :nutkick: like a platinum plated gold kick to the groin maybe?

LuminousAphid

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is crazy... I wonder if it's something about it being from Japan. Japanese super shrimp!

Shrump are big in Japan, I hear.

pbmax

You guys just aren't dedicated to the hobby. It's not all that much if this is your thing and you're really into it. And no, I'm not that person either, but to each their own. :) 

Take hunks of transparent carbon - they're smaller than that shrimp, costs many thousands more, and they don't move OR breed. In fact, they're pretty gosh darn useless... yet folks all over seem to buy them. Who's crazier!? :cyclops: 

LuminousAphid

Also, they aren't really rare at all, so there is no excuse for the price of diamonds... You're right, this isn't the most crazy thing ever, but it's still pretty crazy!

Lamental Jester

pbmax said:
Take hunks of transparent carbon - they're smaller than that shrimp, costs many thousands more, and they don't move OR breed.  In fact, they're pretty gosh darn useless... yet folks all over seem to buy them.  Who's crazier!? :cyclops: 
Lol, if you're talking about diamonds, you're wrong about having no use (I'm an experianced jeweler). They have practical uses for making industrial drills and such. But in terms of the jewelry side, yes, it is pointless, but the ladies love them, and thats all that matters. For the chicks!!! The pricing of diamonds though has more to do with the De Beers family monopolizing the industry and basically controling almost the entire world's diamond supply, they are the reason diamonds are "rare" (because diamonds really aren't!)

Sorry, I rambled... what were we talking about? Oh right, shrimp, carry on, lol

pbmax

Lamental Jester said:
Lol, if you're talking about diamonds, you're wrong about having no use (I'm an experianced jeweler).  They have practical uses for making industrial drills and such.  
Indeed; I was referring to the most popular usage - finger / ear / wrist / cleavage adornment. :) Diamonds for industrial use are much less expensive since they don't need to be of large size with as few imperfections as possible.

Diamonds are definitely rare, compared to say corn dogs, fiats, etc.

One bonus they do have over shrimp is very clear: a diamond is forever (until you lose it).  A CRS will last you slightly less than that.  It's highly unlikely a diamond will expire in transit as well.

MRTom

A diamond may just get you mugged in the wrong street though... That settles it, my future lady is getting an engagement CRS. :lol:

... yeah :suspect: 

A

Anonymous

Lamental Jester said:
Phew... any more expensive then I would only settle for unobtanium poop, no less!
LOL!!

LuminousAphid said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is crazy... I wonder if it's something about it being from Japan. Japanese super shrimp!

Shrump are big in Japan, I hear.
I have some Amanio I will sale for $1500 ea.

Wow though...