75 gallon FOWLR setup on the cheap..lol

Spyral

So, my new tank is going to be a FOWLR set up. Turns out, I can be thrifty!

75 gallon Tank - a gift to/from the GF...lol

Stand - $100 (APFP)

384W SW light fixture - $100 (CL)

Refugium & protein skimmer - $50 (used from Aquarist World)

Sand - $60 (Petsmart)

400W stealth heater - left over from my 180

5 gallon bucket of salt - $40

AC70 power head for circulation - left over from my 180

I will seed the substrate with some live sand and add live rock from my tank along with some leather corals and mushroom corals. I will have to buy other stuff, obviously, namely live rock. However, for a SW tank, this one is running me next to nothing in out of pocket expense.

lilfishie

Id check about the silica sand. It might not be good to use. Not really sure, just concerned. Dont want something to go wrong for you.

Spyral

lilfishie said:
Id check about the silica sand. It might not be good to use. Not really sure, just concerned. Dont want something to go wrong for you.
I was concerned too, so I made a few calls. I am going to get live sand to be on the safe side, so the substrate cost is now a bit higher, but I am still on the cheap side of things.

Spyral

i edited my posts..silica sand is not safe for SW tanks. I did some research and am going with Carib Sea live sand like I have in my current tank.

Thanks to lilfishie for the back-up research!

sandnuka

lilfishie to the rescue yet again! :)

I was excited to come over and help smash this tank up! Well it would be even more fun to take a hammer to after you set it up! good thinking!

Spyral

sandnuka said:
lilfishie to the rescue yet again! :)

I was excited to come over and help smash this tank up! Well it would be even more fun to take a hammer to after you set it up! good thinking!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: