55 gallon vs 40 Breeder... thoughts?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking good; is your garage heated?

There's a classic book on cichlid husbandry by Dr. Robert J. Goldstein entitled 'Cichlids of the World.' It was published by TFH in 1973, which was at the very beginning of the 'African Cichlid Invasion.' To judge how new the Africans were in the hobby at that time, consider this- the book is 382 pages long, but there are only 5 pages of text on Malawian cichlids and 6 pages on Tanganyikans. Early days.

Goldstein has one very entertaining chapter (Chapter 5) called 'Breeding Cichlids.' In it he says the following-

'The principles to be discussed in this section are geared to the interests of the 'cichlidiot.' The cichlidiot is a fanatic. He cannot be expected to (1) behave rationally when it comes to his hobby or (2) pay attention to the non-spoken considerations normal people give their wives and children... Here I intend to discuss how the cichlidiot handles his fish room...

You can keep killifishes in a closet, but the cichlidiot needs a fish room. This can be a room in the house proper (where we plan to ruin the floor), or it can be (and ought to be) a section (only 90%) of the basement or garage...'

Anyway, every time I see your posts about your garage project, I chuckle and think about 'cichlidiots.' :)

IMGP6855.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The garage is heated a little bit.... we tapped the furnace duct hose and added vents. Not as warm as in the house but not freezing. Everything is insulated including the door and Ive sealed it up tight.