55 Gal Tank Base build /Tank Progress

Madness

Staff member
I have never done or needed to cycle a tank. I set the tank up, drop a few fish in it, add a few pieces of media and decor from an existing tank, and if I think that I need some help I add this. https://www.fritzpet.com/turbo-start-700/

I set up my 300 Red Devil tank, everything was new. The only thing I added was existing media from another filter, a couple pieces of wood, and 10 Red Devils ranging from 6"-12". Around day 5 the tank became a bit cloudy, I added the above bacteria, and no issues. All this was done in 1 week and fish enjoyed their home immediately.

KaraWolf

I haven't tried any other products as I figure eventually it will level out >> I did get my ammonia from ace :) it just took FOREVER to locate one big enough to carry it (the store). I'm not adding anything else just the ammonia plain and simple. I'm wondering if some bacteria starved when I went down to portland for my birthday (3 days)

nope not messing with the nitrite levels with prime or anything else.

madness: the filter was brand new no backups yet :( I did have a bit of seed material but not nearly enough for how I am planning to stock it (was hoping to go get all the fish at once - if one is sick then they're all sick (probably) because I'm headed to petsmart...but starting to think that is exactly what I should do. and just watch the levels in case.

Will I am

I personally wouldn't do any water changes until it cycles. If you do a water change and have to add something like prime in, I believe it will nuetralize the nitrites and amonia. I'd try getting what madness uses or stability. I've only used stability. It's worked great for me.

KaraWolf

When I do a water change I use "aquasafe plus" which does not say anywhere on the bottle about neutralizing nitrites or ammonia just chlorine and chloro-something.

idk. I have a set amount I found that spiked the ammonia up to just above 4ppm and have since cut that in half since the nitrite spiked as it suggests to do in the fishless cycling thread ( http://www.wafishbox.com/t247-cycling-your-tank ) which seemed to help the nitrite to actually cycle through rather then being stuck at a huge spike(while also cycling through because I had a huge nitrate amount)

KaraWolf

Been a while. >> About a week and a half ago I managed to get nitrite and ammonia to be zero by not feeding it and shuffled all my fish from the 30 gallon to the 55, redid the deco in both tanks and picked up 10 more orange von rios for it. Then realized a better way to keep the 30 gallon filter alive rather then running it on the front of the 55 (didn't want to pull the back of the hood apart more cause it was temp) was to just put the bag of bio rings in the 55 filter.....felt really dumb for that one LOL especially since the 55 filter looks SOO empty. a single bag of bio rings, the biomedia it came with that hangs on the outflow, 2 carbon/filter media bags, a biomedia thing that came from the origional 15 gal filter and 2 more filter pads and it STILL looks kinda empty.....maybe I'll buy another filter pad thing and shove it full of it. Probably a good way to seed new tanks too. Have a few pics, the rest are on the other phone....I keep taking picks when my phones dead lol

the orange von rio's I bought...future pictures will show their stubborness to school...or hang out anywhere but near the gravel silly things >>

updated decor and Mojo Jo Jo hiding in her new cave place. Happily (for me) fully visible from the front of the tank, and she still thinks this is considered hiding! <3 Now all it needs is updated pic with all the orange von rio's everywhere and even more fish!

KaraWolf

Welll....I am seriously annoyed at this tank. Still.
1. the Von Rio's brought a bacterial infection with them into the tank.
---had to bleach the 30 and a spare 20H
---lost 5 fish
---result of losing 5 fish is the Rio school now well...schools at a solid 8 members(usually).
2. They also brought ich in right after the bacterial infections.
---salted/raised temp of tank
---results of that = Mojo beat herself up pretty badly scale wise
---something seems to have happened to my bacterial colony during ich treatment
---now have high ammonia (.2-.5) which is stressing them out. Again.
---Mojo Grayed out because of said ammonia/temp/salt(not sure which was the flip factor) :(
-----but Ich is now gone!
3. Can't get marble hatchets someone informed me of because of said ammonia >.<
4. Only bonus? I now have 40 feet of hose to stop using buckets to do water changes
---No more buckets YAY!!
5. My tank is still depressingly empty despite it being a month since I got the Rio's
6. Lesson learned All new fish will now go in the 20H for 2~ weeks before going into the 55.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
KaraWolf said:
6. Lesson learned All new fish will now go in the 20H for 2~ weeks before going into the 55.
Been there! I brought in two wild caught cichlids into my established 210g tank and ended up with some horrible parasitic thing that I could not kill. I lost my favorite fish (midas) that I had raised for over three years and almost all my stock. After that I learned to always quarantine fish first.

Sorry to hear of all your problems.... hang in there. It does get better!

KaraWolf

0.o yikes!!! I've had fish for almost 4 years and have never had a major health problem not even ick(didn't have any place TO quarantine until very recently). and then bam! insanity >.< sucks to lose the favorite fish :( for any reason. But I have a bare 20 high that shall be for quarantine only.

Hopefully the ick will be the last of it and I can figure out why I'm getting ammonia readings ugh >> was working fine before hand. GROW bacteria grow!! I need to have a tank that finally doesn't look empty!

Anthraxx

KaraWolf

Did a fat water change last night with my new hose. Annoyed at it at first until I went to drag it outside and my husband pointed out it had a major kink which was causing the drainage problem :roll: refilling was awesome XD
I bought a big bottle of stability which in theory should help but I think I should just suck it up and treat it like it has no cycle what-so-ever - says for new tanks treat every day for 7 days, and then whenever you add new fish/do a water change to boost it. Originally tried to do it with just ammonia and some seed took over a month and was still having stupid problems...great reminder though thanks. This evenings reading looks like 0 so I guess I'll treat it like a new tank if I get another ammonia reading tomorrow >>

ALSO, Decided my filter wasn't full enough so I snagged a bath scrubby (wasn't any plastic pot ones) pulled the hanging rope off it and stuffed it into my filter too(turns into a mesh tube when it unbunches). SO I swear there is plenty of room for good bacteria to be living in style!

BallardFishGuy

I do all my cycling fish-less..I use snails. If you want something instant and easy Cory sells a really nice instant cycle product...can't remember the name of it but it's refrigerated which is important to keep the bacteria alive.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
KaraWolf, I just noticed your signature had "55 still needs..... and what?"

What you are looking for is 'bichir'; very friendly with tetras :D 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Mine do good with my Australian Rainbows.... Ive only had one disappear; so far. :whistle:  

star_rider

KaraWolf, I would suggest a a bit longer QT period.

4 weeks for me if the fish do not get sick. reason: some parasites may not manifest into an issue in 2 weeks. if the fish do get Ill I treat and restart the QT. I do not want to place mY Angels and Discus at any more risk than needed.
I've delt with some internal parasites capillaria and camallanus that usually do not show up for a few weeks .
I deal with some wild fish and will usually treat prophylactically for internal parasites .
I keep a few meds on hand in the event there are issues (parasite and bacterial)

btw, there are a lot of folks who would disagree with my methods but I learned these from very well educated folks who keep wild discus and Angels.
following their recommendations I was able to raise Dime sized wild caught Altums with very low loss.

KaraWolf

BallardFishGuy: I tried 0.o was trying for a month and a half...thought it would do ok with some fish. and it was until I treated for ick.

DMD123: OH GOD that would be sweet! But with my plans....it would be overstocked with one I think :(and it's not a wide enough tank for the poor adult(only about 12in wide). Was sooo tempted when I saw some snegals at petco they were only like 3 inches long. I'm thinking when I move and get the 90+ tank that is planned oscars I'll put a bichir too <3
annnnd  yup they get too big and will eat my poor tiny fish! OM NOM NOM snacks! lol
Though on a side note all of the little fish I'm putting in are smarter then your average tetra I've observed (on purpose) so they can avoid my own shark. No swimming away in straight lines!

Now. If you have a real suggestion on fish be my guest LOL

Maybe on the QT and will probably lengthen it as I get used to getting new fish. (and away from the excitement of the first really nicely stocked tank)
Definitely restarting the QT if they get sick >> gotta make sure the bug is gone before adding. I try to keep meds on hand, as it's always easier to pull it out of the cabinet rather then running to the store for it.

Annnnnnd here goes the start of a cycle-treating bacteria as ammonia popped back up after day-before-yesterday's WC >.< blarg.

KaraWolf

Well it's been a while and I keep finding ammonia bumps >.< nothing over .5 but very frustrating when I wasn't upping the food any. I think I found my problem! (Hopefully) So i ran out of my algae wafers and the new ones are a new brand. Mojo has disdained to eat them and for the first time ever I managed to see her "eat" one, usually she waits till I'm in bed to do so, and decided to take bites, swim away and spit said bite out. Thank you MOJO for telling me you hate them you little bugger! So now there are miniscule particles of the ENTIRE wafer floating around in my tank messing with the ammonia. yay >.<
PHOTO OPP. And Mojo's recovery from insanity.

Photos: So....the treatment that killed off the ick messed with Mojo's behavior :(she decided to flip out and banged herself up pretty badly her poor black scales were pure white. But now she refuses to hold still to get an in focus picture the little turd. Photo's were initially to make sure I could see the progress of her healing/see if she was injuring herself more.

These are my 2 otos. Have had them for 5-4 months. Not sure why the other is SO fat :/ but is eating fine and behaving normally so ??

Much better looking see?? XD She just needed time :)

Video time!!!
<a href="http://youtu.be/YPbI8Uj9dDI" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"></a>[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/YPbI8Uj9dDI[/flash]
Got these last night XD big punk!! And I was right, I have an ammonia spike today after she did this >.<
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/h-0wkImfsrI" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]
my whole tank plus my cat who wanted in on the action LOL

KaraWolf

In the beginning I got bladder snails in my 2.5 gallon. hated them. couldn't get rid of them, loved them. they dissipated. Now they've popped up with the red root floaters I put in here even as I tried my hardest to rinse allll the snails off(and the ever present duckweed which was successful XD ). Was going to not bother them cause who cares. Well. apparently they HAPPILY demolish red root floater roots. Just after I thought I was seeing some progress on them :(

This tank still doesn't have any extra fish. But that's cause I was gonna move and put that off. No more ammonia spikes yay XD it was indeed Mojo being a butt head.