40B Aquarium Stand.

czeiszler

So I will have my hubby list cost and materials later this week but I want to share pictures of the stand. Everybody helped with this project. My FIL Tom and My hubby Curtis built it. My MIL Kim and I sanded and filled all the holes with wood filler. Curtis and I put on the first coat of stain that my BIL picked out. Then this morning Curtis and Sera(8yo) sanded it again and we applied the second coat of stain.
img_2011.jpg

img_2012.jpg

img_2013.jpg

img_2014.jpg

img_2015.jpg

img_2016.jpg

I think it came out great since it was a first for us. We are going to add siding today and also the piece of wood that sticks out on the right is going to be turned into a shelf.
We are going to set up the tank tonight and get the guppies into their new home. We are planning on putting on doors and building shelves for the inside. My hubby did a 1 inch lip over the top of the stand because we like the way it looks. This was fun. Now I wish I had saved my money and built a stand for my 55 gallon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Wow, how much weight were you putting on that thing? :lmfao:

I jest, I am building my stand for my new Petco 29g and I used 2x4's and 3/4" plywood, way overkill! I am just going to do a simple paint job on mine. The hardest part for me was to try and fit a second tank into my design. I wanted to make it a double decker to hold a 20L and a 29g , but could not decide on a plan that would allow me to use up scrap wood that I had, and not spend any other money on it. So my design is what it is and did not really cost very much. But I think it will allow me to keep my 2.5g betta tank underneath the 29g so part of my goal was accomplished.

Enough of my blabbing, this is your post. Great job on the build! :spoton:

Keep us updated with pics as you get it set up.

czeiszler

:D In the immortal words of my hubby "We were putting a 40 Breeder on it so we wanted something that would hold us if we were to breed on it" :laughhard: :lmfao: He sure is a character, but I love him.

Some fish geek specs
Materials

4X4X8's 4 @ 7.74 = 30.96
1X4X8's 1 @ 2.98 = 2.98

6" Lag Screws 50 count (heavy duty) = 32.49
3" Wood Screws 50 count = 5.37
Wood Filler = 6.99
Minwax Poly/Stain = 12.46
Sand Paper for Power Sander 6 sheets = 0.87

Total so far = $86.75 pre-tax amount

Need to purchase some plywood for sides, external shelf (note the piece of trim on top that extends beyond the cabinet), bottom shelf, inside shelf on one side, two 1X2X8's, and door hardware for two doors to finish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
czeiszler said:
:D In the immortal words of my hubby "We were putting a 40 Breeder on it so we wanted something that would hold us if we were to breed on it" :laughhard: :lmfao:
:affraid: :laughhard: :oops:

Too funny!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just noticed, your post is in the saltwater diy section.

Rick

Nice job on the stand, it will be easy to add storage and doors. Never to late to build a matching stand for your 55 gal.

Rick

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
czeiszler said:
Thanks Rick...what would i do with the stand i already have...but its a thought. :arrow:
Get another tank for it :laughhard: , I mean sell it :whistle:

czeiszler

Gosh My hubby would kill me if I got another tank lol. I already bought a 45 gallon as a back up recently for 20$. But I bet he would love to build a stand for our 55 gallon. Going to take pics since we finally got everything switched around and setup. Took us three hours to get everything moved around. Our community selttled in nicely and I didn't get to share my deal that I got on a new Current-Usa Satellite 36 inch 96 Watt PowerCompact Single light for my 40B for 69$ which was 10 more then a standard strip light. I love it. The lights are so much better. Now I want better lighting for all my tanks.