4 Lamp T5HO 48" Fixture What Bulbs should I use?

aeroman9000

Ok so I have a 4 lamp 2 switch 48" fixture (no name sorry) I can operate 2 bulbs at a time or all 4 at the same time. I am wondering what combination of bulbs I should run. Its getting used on a 55 gallon long tank with ferts and CO2 (TIMED REGULATOR) I read some threads that recommended running 2 bulbs for 8 hours, then 4 bulbs for 3 hours in the middle of the day? If that's correct what combination of bulbs do I run all day and what combination do I run for the 3 hours?

Thanks in advance!

B

big01612

Re: 4 Lamp T5 48" Fixture What Bulbs should I use?

From I learned is too much light equals algae. With my tank I have the lights on 4 hrs on then 4 hrs off then on till 9pm. No algae. Too much lights even with co2 will cause some algae.

A

Anonymous

What ive noticed when starting a new tank, or switching to a new or different light system the light time duration will change. Start out at a good medium. Example: 1st set of lights come on at 9 am , 2nd lights phase on around 11am. Shut off time for the 2nd phase around 6 pm, 1st phase around 9 pm. This is just an example.

If you notice excessive algaes lessen the time. If you notice no algae growth perhaps in a month up the time just a bit.

aeroman9000

What Type of bulbs are you guys using? 6500K? for the all day or a combo of 6500K with a plant/pink maybe a single 10,000k?

A

Anonymous

A 55 gallon long planted tank will benefit most from lights around the 6,500K spectrum. Knowing what I know from experiance and what the lights look like from a visual stand point I would probably use 6,400 or 6,500 for both 1st phase lights. The second phase I would use one 6,500K and one that's like 7,000-8,000K. That higher K value will offer a simulated afternoon bright white light while still offering a spectrum usuable to freshwater plants.

I've mixed matched many many fluorescent lights. Above suggestion is for freshwater plant growth and a personal preference.

A

Anonymous

If you are growing low to medium light plants and want something visually appealing throw an Actinic blue bulb on one of the 1st phase lights. This will make the blues in your fish pop out.

A

Anonymous

Are these T5 or T5HO?!

A

Anonymous

T5HO X4 bulbs should blast some goOd power in your 55 long. The more plants you can stuff in there the better to help combat algae.

I run two 10k and two 6700k in a similar t5ho fixture. 6700k come on an hour before the 10k. And go off an hour before. When my plant load is high I run the lights for twelve hours or longer, when there is a sparse amount of plants I dial it back to 8-10 hours. Oddly I grow lower light crypts in this set up and mainly floaters that obscure most stem plants. My lighting (k) value is mainly because I like the color it displays to my eye.

BHolmes

Light: Coralife Lunar T5 HO
Bulbs: 3 Giesemann Aqua Flora (on for 6 hours), 4 blue lunar LED's (on 3 hours before main lights, during main lights, and 3 hours after)
CO2: Aquatek premium regulator, 10 lb tank, GLA bubble counter, GLA Atomic inline diffuser, CAL AQUA Pearl drop checker
EI Dosing: KH2PO4 1.268g Mon/Wed/Fri, K2SO4 4.874g Mon/Wed/Fri, CSM+B 2.609g Tue/Thur/Sat, Seachem Iron 15ml Tue/Thur/Sat, 50% WC on Sun, MgSO4 17.274g Sun, CaSO4 17.359g Sun

u7dQTEL.jpg