30? gal hex, need to find lid, help appreciated

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
So I scored what I believe is a 30 gallon hex tank for $10 for a friend. But it needs a light, filter and lid. I am considering making one out of glass myself with a hinge. But want to compare prices and quality to get the best route. She has an 18lbs cat who sits on top of the tanks so quality is important.

The tank is 18.5" across, 22" deep and a panel measures 10" long. I plugged it in to an aquarium volume calculator and it said 28.57 gallons. I'm having a hard time finding a lid in that description. If anyone knows where to look that would be appreciated.

If I make it myself I'm thinking acrylic or glass. Probably glass to resist cat claws scratching it. What thickness would you suggest?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Those are expensive if you buy the preformed plastic with the light built in. Getting the parts and building it might be cheaper. If you do decide to make it yourself, do not use acrylic. Acrylic will bow and droop down toward the water. Use lexan instead. You can find it next to the acrylic at the same hardware stores but no issue with it and water.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This top might be it from the dimensions you gave... but a bit expensive at $56.84
http://www.amazon.com/Fluorescent-Black ... B0002AS5VY
31ruM-Lvx-L.jpg

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Oh maybe, you both sent the same link :) but the dimensions match better than what I was finding. I don't think it would hold up a cat well though.

What thickness of lexan or glass would either of you recommend? I'm okay with glass because I want to build a tank for work and want to give it a try with cutting and such.

keman

The problem with Lexan, is that it will warp. SO far I have found even the 1/4" lexan top I made for me 55 is warped due to the light on one side and wet on the other. If you can cut glass or have a place to cut it for you, I would go with the thickest you can afford just for toughness. I have had lids break just from opening and closing. No matter how careful you are, you will eventually slam it one time too many.