26...I think

ledieudufromage

I just got a 26g Bow for $30! Almost new, with a messed up hood that I'm going to trash. It is going to be aquascaped obsessively. I want to do high light plants. HC for sure...any thoughts?
ALSO FISH! I love emperors, and I have 3 in my 72g with my Cardinals and Pristellas. I'm thinking of moving the Emps over and getting a few more. I don't think I'll add a second fish unless someone convinces me otherwise.

ledieudufromage

Ok, Wenditti Green, dwarf hairgrass and some sort of val should go on the list, but I'm still deciding.

I love this one, but would rather have more ground growth. http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2009.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=0&id=135

I'm going to make in and out fixtures for my fluval 103. Any ideas? I'm thinking stainless steel like some of the ADA ones.

Also, any ideas on black substrate. I love the look. Should I just shell out for the seachem stuff, as it is a small tank, or is there another option. I have CO2 and Ferts taken care of already. Another option is that EcoComplete stuff at our massive pet stores. Anyone try it?

sandnuka

WOW! what a great price on that tank! good find.... You sound like you know what you want, thats great. I personally havent seen any black substrate for plants?? I will tell you my opinion is Soil for substrate... I just did a soil tank, and it has the most growth out of any tank ive seen! I want to rip out all the sub in all my tanks and do soil in them! Love it! If you thinkin of goin this way read up on it first... I started a thread on it, so did cory called NPT (natural Planted Tank)... or even google search Dr. Walsted NPT.

As for fish, I love apistos and dwarfs in that size of tank... You get the big cichlid attitude in these lil' guys... just awesome fun fish! and there gorgeous...

cockat12.jpg

Doza

ledieudufromage said:
Ok, Wenditti Green, dwarf hairgrass and some sort of val should go on the list, but I'm still deciding.

I love this one, but would rather have more ground growth. http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2009.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=0&id=135

I'm going to make in and out fixtures for my fluval 103. Any ideas? I'm thinking stainless steel like some of the ADA ones.

Also, any ideas on black substrate. I love the look. Should I just shell out for the seachem stuff, as it is a small tank, or is there another option. I have CO2 and Ferts taken care of already. Another option is that EcoComplete stuff at our massive pet stores. Anyone try it?

I would use one of the black plant substrates.... And if you wanted something to dress it up a little i got plenty of Tahitian moon sand you could layer on too of it..

Sweet deal on the bowfront btw... where did you pick it up at?? What lighing are you going to use on it??

ledieudufromage

Doza said:
ledieudufromage said:

I would use one of the black plant substrates.... And if you wanted something to dress it up a little i got plenty of Tahitian moon sand you could layer on too of it..

Sweet deal on the bowfront btw... where did you pick it up at?? What lighing are you going to use on it??
I'm going to use the light I got from you. It didn't work at all for my 72g, but it will work well for this one if I hang it a little bit above.

I got the tank at Pet Town here in PT. They have a used area that locals sell stuff through.

ledieudufromage

sandnuka said:
WOW! what a great price on that tank! good find.... You sound like you know what you want, thats great. I personally havent seen any black substrate for plants?? I will tell you my opinion is Soil for substrate... I just did a soil tank, and it has the most growth out of any tank ive seen! I want to rip out all the sub in all my tanks and do soil in them! Love it! If you thinkin of goin this way read up on it first... I started a thread on it, so did cory called NPT (natural Planted Tank)... or even google search Dr. Walsted NPT.

As for fish, I love apistos and dwarfs in that size of tank... You get the big cichlid attitude in these lil' guys... just awesome fun fish! and there gorgeous...

cockat11.jpg
I read that thread, but had forgotten.

Where do you find the fish you were talking about?

sandnuka

Apisto cockatoid (my new fav) you can find at A place for pets.... and a couple other LFS around... they are not that common and usually arent very cheap....

You can find blue rams, bolivian rams, gold rams pretty much everywhere... They are allot more common of a cichlid.... I just think there gorgeous fish, with huge color, and cause there small they dont dig too much... well mine dont have a diggin problem :) Do a google image search to see if you like em too

Let us know what you decide on, I love watching the process of setting up the new tank, so keep us updated!

ledieudufromage

sandnuka said:
Apisto cockatoid (my new fav) you can find at A place for pets.... and a couple other LFS around... they are not that common and usually arent very cheap....

You can find blue rams, bolivian rams, gold rams pretty much everywhere... They are allot more common of a cichlid.... I just think there gorgeous fish, with huge color, and cause there small they dont dig too much... well mine dont have a diggin problem :) Do a google image search to see if you like em too

Let us know what you decide on, I love watching the process of setting up the new tank, so keep us updated!
I'm making a stand today, and might be picking up some stuff for it this evening. I did a bit of research and found good things about the ecocomplete. I like the idea of DIY dirt set ups, but the simplicity of a pre fertilized substrate really appeals to me right now.

Doza

out of curiousity why didnt it work for the 72gallon?

That will be plenty of light for your bowfron.. Plenty.. Make sure you keep the nutrients in your tank in line or there will be algea bloom like crazy.. and i would probably stay away from dirt substrate with that much light... lol JUst my thought..

ledieudufromage

Doza said:
out of curiousity why didnt it work for the 72gallon?

That will be plenty of light for your bowfron.. Plenty.. Make sure you keep the nutrients in your tank in line or there will be algea bloom like crazy.. and i would probably stay away from dirt substrate with that much light... lol JUst my thought..
The tank is too wide and I have the plants in a U shape right now, so putting it in the center was a bit of a waste. One point of light just wasn't enough.