210 gallon polypterus tank

FishBeast

Finally got moving on setting up the 210 this weekend! It’s been sitting empty for the last few months serving as a water change reservoir. Seeing @Racersk get on his tank and sump inspired me!

First, the tank. It’s a dual overflow Aqueon 210. The stand was a bit poopy so I built my own. I made sure there was lots of clearance underneath for a sump and plumbing. Didn’t put doors on it as it’s just in the garage.

08478A20-D28F-4C78-AC5A-6C8080681D79.jpeg

I decided on an FX6 as well as a sump for filtration. Got the FX6 for almost $100 off with free shipping a while back. Came with free gravel vac ($60 value)! Thanks to @Loren for the tip.

The sump is a 4 foot, 55 gallon tank. Total system volume will be 240 to 250 gallons.
3CE21CDC-94E5-41E7-A763-C25A8625FA34.jpeg

I was going to use glass baffles originally (had them cut and everything) but decided to simplify and use reticulated foam baffles supported by egg crate. I decided on 3 compartments separated by foam. Compartment 1 will be filtered by 10 PPI foam, compartment 2 is fluidized K1 and then through 30 PPI foam into the pump and heater zone. There are immense benefits to using reticulated foam for biological filtration (look up Hamburger mattenfilters). The 10 PPI foam will be mechanical filtration. I got them from Swiss Tropicals! They are arriving today.

758F9A20-F88C-41B9-B1C8-F850C298261D.jpeg

To prevent the K1 from spilling into the other compartments I attached plastic needlepoint mesh to the tops as a screen. Water flows from left to right in this case. Here is the sump under the tank. I’ve also hooked up the FX6.

6CE43BB5-BE51-412B-A522-12E0B6494C7D.jpeg

I’m using 2 x Active Aqua AAPW1000 pumps. They were super cheap on Amazon at $45 each when I bought them. They will do about 700 GPH @6ft which is perfect for my overflows (800GPH). I’m also using a Finnex 800 watt titanium heater ($50 on Amazon) with a digital controller.

3223B7B6-B24D-482B-9065-646DBC5855DC.jpeg

The pumps will be adding some heat to the system so hopefully the heater will be able to do the job well enough.

93CF94D0-FE92-424F-A00C-73FB160A1614.jpeg

Overflow plumbing did have some microdripping which I fixed with tape.

15034990-CB47-402A-B1AC-11A407AE6AB4.jpeg

FX6 in place.
E58DBFA3-A49E-40B4-82B6-45B39E6009BB.jpeg

Also I washed and placed the red garnet blasting sand ($19 for 55 lb bag) which should be a nice color for the bichirs. Thanks to @DMD123 for the recommendation!
112DE95F-5464-481D-B7AA-0C31DA4B57A5.jpeg

Next steps: plumb the drains and returns and start up the sump. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

clownie

WOW! That is quite the project. Looks clean. The bichirs will be happy for sure! Great job so far. I have always dreamed of a tank this size but just can't seem to carve out the spot in the house.

FishBeast

WOW! That is quite the project. Looks clean. The bichirs will be happy for sure! Great job so far. I have always dreamed of a tank this size but just can't seem to carve out the spot in the house.
Thank you!! That's why the garage is awesome... Tank size and quantity limited only by space :)

Cole

Looking great FishBeast! You won't be disappointed in the Poret foam from Swiss Tropicals. That's what I used in one of our sumps for bypass on the filter socks. Quality stuff. Can't wait to see the finished project.

FishBeast

Looking great FishBeast! You won't be disappointed in the Poret foam from Swiss Tropicals. That's what I used in one of our sumps for bypass on the filter socks. Quality stuff. Can't wait to see the finished project.
Thanks Cole! Glad to hear you had a good experience with it. Apparently the 30 PPI stuff has even greater surface area than K1! By the way I am eyeing one of those fiberglass tanks from Pentaire. If I pull the trigger, I might pick your brain about setting up filtration as I know you have one for your FRT.

Cole

Thanks Cole! Glad to hear you had a good experience with it. Apparently the 30 PPI stuff has even greater surface area than K1! By the way I am eyeing one of those fiberglass tanks from Pentaire. If I pull the trigger, I might pick your brain about setting up filtration as I know you have one for your FRT.

No problem...I'll be happy to help where I can. They did have some quality control issues last year with some of the paint flaking off, but sounds like it's been corrected. The tanks are built in Malaysia and shipped to Florida. Hard to beat the price for such a large tank. Would've gotten the 720 gallon, if we didn't have to get it through some doorways...lol. I'm still in the process of getting the filtration dialed in...need to add a prefilter and a UV sterilizer, but I'm pretty happy with the ease of maintenance.

FishBeast

No problem...I'll be happy to help where I can. They did have some quality control issues last year with some of the paint flaking off, but sounds like it's been corrected. The tanks are built in Malaysia and shipped to Florida. Hard to beat the price for such a large tank. Would've gotten the 720 gallon, if we didn't have to get it through some doorways...lol. I'm still in the process of getting the filtration dialed in...need to add a prefilter and a UV sterilizer, but I'm pretty happy with the ease of maintenance.
Cool... great info dude! Do you have evaporation dialed in pretty well? Or do you run a dehumidifier? I dream of such a massive tank to let my bichirs stretch their legs. Maybe grab a couple of megalodoras uranoscopus that the wet spot has!

Cole

Cool... great info dude! Do you have evaporation dialed in pretty well? Or do you run a dehumidifier? I dream of such a massive tank to let my bichirs stretch their legs. Maybe grab a couple of megalodoras uranoscopus that the wet spot has!

I do run a dehumidifier in that room and I do have the tank about 85% covered with a 4 x 8 sheet of twinwall polycarbonate. I do need to cut some smaller strips and find a hinge system to join the pieces together to get the 100% coverage. I'm heating the turtle tank between 80-82 degrees, so that causes a decent amount of evaporation.

FishBeast

I do run a dehumidifier in that room and I do have the tank about 85% covered with a 4 x 8 sheet of twinwall polycarbonate. I do need to cut some smaller strips and find a hinge system to join the pieces together to get the 100% coverage. I'm heating the turtle tank between 80-82 degrees, so that causes a decent amount of evaporation.
Great, thanks for the info my dude!

clownie

WOW!!! That's a pretty fancy set up there young man! I mean for a freshwater tank. There are reefs I've set up in the past that where mind boggling! Glad to see the freshwater side getting into some awesome builds!

FishBeast

WOW!!! That's a pretty fancy set up there young man! I mean for a freshwater tank. There are reefs I've set up in the past that where mind boggling! Glad to see the freshwater side getting into some awesome builds!
Thank you for the praise my friend!! :) It's my first build with sumps and such. Would love any comments or suggestions as well. :)

clownie

Thank you for the praise my friend!! :) It's my first build with sumps and such. Would love any comments or suggestions as well. :)
I am assuming the FX6 will do the bulk of chemical filtration? The only thing I would add is a filter sock on the out put from the tank. I have one on my tank and have been amazed how much particulate matter it traps.

FishBeast

@clownie yes the FX6 will primarily be mechanical filtration... I was going to go with a foam baffle for mechanical but it was too wonky so I just used filter floss on the drain pipes to trap large pieces of waste :)AE862A25-7117-44CB-B890-03DD3C9C9E83.jpeg

clownie

DUDE!!! Within minutes of my question you A: take pictures and B: diagram and label it!:thumbsup The filter floss will do the same as a sock. I only used socks because I had them left over from my old reefin days.