100 Gallon Tank Needs To Be Resealed // Which Silicone Sealant?

No problem. Like you I was a bit skeptical messing with the sealant aswell! I primarily went off that link Madness posted, that seemed to be the most thorough I had found. The tape is also a great idea but I skipped that part because it isnt a show tank to begin with so being super clean wasnt an issue. That brace you see in the first pic is more for reassurance than anything as the tank is only 4 foot. My 160 which is the same dimensions just two feet longer is 5/8" class and didnt come with a support. I made both of those out of quarter in strap steel, doubled up on that top part and welded tabs on to hold it over the sides. They both work like a charm and are much more than I need strength wise! How thick is you glass? I'm assuming its a 4foot tank?

At 100gals I wouldn't worry too much. I believe sagging over time would be more of an issue than something suddenly letting loose. I am more than willing to help people on here that need any type of metal work done such as the brace and frame for minimal charge. People on here take care of me and I would love to return the kind gestures!!

Addicted, It's a 5 footer. The Dimensions of the tank are:
60" Length x 21" in Height x 18" Depth

The glass is 1/2" thick (I'm not sure if this means that it's an old tank... I vaguely remember reading something about how older tanks were made with thicker glass, or something like that... I'm just assuming that it's thick because it's a bigger tank, but since you mentioned that yours is 5/8" thick, I could be wrong. LOL)

the tank is far from being complete, and even if I did have it all finished, I still have to worry about the floor in our house, being able to support all the weight. Hehehe!! Thank you so much for lending out a helping hand! I'd do the same for our community if the chance arises! :)

Here are some pictures:

Yep that is a stout older tank. I found a blurb once that these older thick tanks with no center brace (because of the thick glass) were made by Oceanic which is no longer in business. Not sure if thats correct but sounds familiar!

Anyhow, those seals look just like the ones in my 160 which will be getting emptied here in a few days to reseal. Interesting how the silicone turns colors and shrivels inwards toward the seam slowly removing the seal. Mine is old enough that it is a deep teal!

Good luck and let me know if you would like help. I usually go up past bremerton on saturdays on the way to my folks in sequim.

Addicted: Well shucks, you're a life saver! Hahaha :) When I tried taking off one portion of the silicon sealant, it really wasn't as hard as I had though. Possibly because the sealant was pretty much flaking off. I'm sure once I start working on the bottom panel of glass, where the sealant is laid on pretty thick, is where most of my blood and sweat will go to. Heh.

As for any help, that would be great! I will not start working on the tank until the warmer months come rolling in, so there's definitely no rush. Perhaps once Spring time starts to warm up, I'll send you a PM if I do need some assistance on the tank. I really appreciate all your help, Addicted!

Do you visit your parents weekly, or monthly?

The problem I ran into was trying to get a sharp razor flush against the glass while still being able to hold it. I ended up using a bunch of electrical tape wrapped around the top of the blade so I could hold it as flush as possible and still be able to push hard. The only other thing to watch for is that you don't push the blade too far in between the two pieces of glass. I pushed the blade in until I could see the tip was about to pass between the two panels and made a sharpie mark for depth.

I usually head up there 2-3times a month.

I've got a raze blade scraper that holds the razor blades in place and allows me get a good grip on the blade w/o worrying about bloody fingers HEHE... Looks something like this:

TerriB

Well be careful with using the GE Silicone 1. Make sure you use a pretty thick beading of silicone. I, too, reseated an old 100 gallon tank about 5 months ago using the GE Silicone 1. Everything was going great until this past Sunday when I woke up to a dripping tank and a newly remodeled room full of water in the carpet. Does anyone have another suggestion on another silicone that may hold up better than the GE Silicone 1? Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

:suspect: - Oh, that's stinky. I haven't heard any negative reviews about the sealant itself. But have heard many stories about ppl not getting the tank to seal using the sealant. It's gotten to the point where I wonder about the appliers technic. If there was product out there I knew was better than GE Silicone 1 believe you me I would be using it!! 

Sorry...

Will I am

Some pet stores will carry a silicone you can use. All articles or videos I've watched, they all used the GE 1. I used it on my 90g, so far, it's good. It is my first tank resealing so hopefully, it stays that way.

zach_discus

Ge Silicon 1 works the best. I reseale my old 185 bowfront and if anything is going to leak it was that monster. I always fill the tank first and look for leaks. If there is none than you are ussally good with just removing the old silicone from the inside of the tank and not dissasimbling the tank. Clean the old silicon from inside the tank carefully and dont jam you blade in between the paines of glass and disturb the silicone there. Clean the glass with a non solovent cleaner, isopropyl alcohol works very well. Once clean use painters tape to layout your seams. Shoot for a 1/4 inch per side. Lay down a nice healthy bead (Bottom/Front/Back). Than wet you finger in COLD water and with medium pressure smooth the silicone into the corners. Let the tank cure overnight and then use a NEW sharp razor run it along the edge of the tape cutting a nice perfect line in the silicone. Remove the tape and leak test the tank again.

Hope this helps Zach

Um.. Guys this topic is old lol. My tank has been resealed for a while now. Go check out the "taming the beast" topic for further updates on this tank. Lol.

Thanks for the extra info though, everyone !

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
Um.. Guys this topic is old lol. My tank has been resealed for a while now. Go check out the "taming the beast"  topic for further updates on this tank. Lol.

Thanks for the extra info though, everyone !
 :alien: - TeriB reopened the thread. Looks like they may have had resealing problems. 

Oh Whoops! I didn't notice terib 's post! Doh. Sorry about that! Carry on... Carry on. Lol!

I too, used GE1 for the 100gallon, and I haven't had any issues so far. *knock on wood* but in case it does decide to flood on me, I have it "conveniently" placed in the garage, so there wouldn't be much of an issue, if the garage were to flood Hahaha!