Gardneri Killifish

Soundline

Any one have expieren e with these guys? How’s their behavior? What are good tank mates?

Guess I’m really interested in The behavior of these guys. I purchased one recently and he has killed one fish and chewed off the tails of three of my zebra Danios. I don’t recall hearing they are this aggressive, yes I’ve heard about them needing certain water quality and breeding them is difficult and that’s why most people don’t keep them but this guy if a real A hole with a capital A.

49C5E8CC-5444-4277-8A32-114042596EB3.jpeg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Wow. No one has chimed in???? That's a bummer man. I'm interested to see what folks say. There's some killifish fans in here that know their stuff......

clownie

I kept them EONS ago. i don't remember them being that aggressive with other fish...males spar it out a bit. How big our your danios? If they are those tiny ones he probably looks at them as a food source.

dwarfpike

A lot of times, fish will show more aggression to fish they deem as competitors. Killies and danios take up the same area of the aquarium. Perhaps that is what triggered it the aggression? As an example, there are several species of cichlids that are really mild in terms of aggression but will absolutely take out cory cats because they see them as competition in feeding style.

Soundline

I’ve deemed him as an a hole. The danios where twice his size and weren’t in his territory at all. Luckily he jumped out of the tank and the other killi I had reappeared four days after the other jumped. He also tore up one of my angel fish which were HUGE compared to him. He was in my 46 gallon tank. Really not much of a reason to do is cause he made his territory under some rocks but attack the danios that stay at the very top of the tank.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I’ve deemed him as an a hole. The danios where twice his size and weren’t in his territory at all. Luckily he jumped out of the tank and the other killi I had reappeared four days after the other jumped. He also tore up one of my angel fish which were HUGE compared to him. He was in my 46 gallon tank. Really not much of a reason to do is cause he made his territory under some rocks but attack the danios that stay at the very top of the tank.

Maybe he's just a killi with anger management issues? lol I mean, he DID commit suicide so .... you know....there's that....

Bullyboy

Hey just saw this posting.

Killifish keeper here and ill attest that these guys are certainly not always cool in community tanks.
They are a while other type of fish due to their nature and territorial leanings.
They will even chase females to death and so must be kept with more than two.

A lot depends on the introduction as well because they are so tenacious, which is why i keep my males out of the females tank for a bit every couple of weeks.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk