Less Aqua

KnownToSome

Hey man, I got that same spider wood from Dennys pet world in Kirkland... made the nastiest goo I have ever encountered on drift wood, hands down. Mold covered jello is what comes to mind, but of dif consistency then I have seen on other driftwood, but then again... in the tanks I have the spider wood in I have no inverts to munch the goo- bc they went in the puff tanks and they make quick order of any snails or shrimp. Just thought I would share.

Btw: my newest piece is over a month old and the junk hasn't let off an ounce. Is just as vivacious as the day the nasty muck grew. Boiling and salt didn't help.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hey man, I got that same spider wood from Dennys pet world in Kirkland... made the nastiest goo I have ever encountered on drift wood, hands down. Mold covered jello is what comes to mind, but of dif consistency then I have seen on other driftwood, but then again... in the tanks I have the spider wood in I have no inverts to munch the goo- bc they went in the puff tanks and they make quick order of any snails or shrimp. Just thought I would share.

Btw: my newest piece is over a month old and the junk hasn't let off an ounce. Is just as vivacious as the day the nasty muck grew. Boiling and salt didn't help.

Oh Dude. That is BRUTAL.

Evergreenblue

Well, I've sure been out of the loop! Sorry all, I've been swamped lately!

@KnownToSome and @Mike16T, is this a fungal issue with the wood that becomes a problem? Are there any other suggestions other than boiling (since I'm at a point of preferably no-return). From my research so far in vivariums, I'm expecting some fungus and mold issues when I'm first set-up with the humidity and all, but it should go away after the cycle... kind of like the algae in an aquarium cycle. At least this is what I was expecting. I can't really treat the wood with chemicals or anything... is this something that will likely eventually go away if I'm patient enough? I figured that since the wood was used for aquariums it would be safe... I actually purposely chose it for that reason, as opposed ot grapewood or something that would rot. Let me know how yours works out KnownToSome.

I haven't really made any changes, I've been pretty busy. I'll try to make some time this week or next, but I might be waiting until I return from vacation at the end of July.

KnownToSome

Well, I've sure been out of the loop! Sorry all, I've been swamped lately!

@KnownToSome and @Mike16T, is this a fungal issue with the wood that becomes a problem? Are there any other suggestions other than boiling (since I'm at a point of preferably no-return). From my research so far in vivariums, I'm expecting some fungus and mold issues when I'm first set-up with the humidity and all, but it should go away after the cycle... kind of like the algae in an aquarium cycle. At least this is what I was expecting. I can't really treat the wood with chemicals or anything... is this something that will likely eventually go away if I'm patient enough? I figured that since the wood was used for aquariums it would be safe... I actually purposely chose it for that reason, as opposed ot grapewood or something that would rot. Let me know how yours works out KnownToSome.

I haven't really made any changes, I've been pretty busy. I'll try to make some time this week or next, but I might be waiting until I return from vacation at the end of July.

Yes, the nitrogen cycle will help eat the goo. I have spoken to some well versed wood and plant peeps and have been given an answer I like (Mainly bc what's been happening in my tanks reinforces it!) Lol So what I was *told* happens is the wood leaches out sugars and starches (amongst other things, and nothing can expedite this process) And the goo grows to basically eat the leaching saccharin, sap, and bacterias. So me taking mine out and scrubbing the junk off, soaking it in salt water, and even trying boiling it, was setting me back (as it took more time for the goo to regrow and start doing its thing all over again). The reason being, is the goo is helping process what's causing it to grow in the first place, and leaving it alone will clear it up the fastest. Once the cycle is well established and the leaching is close to complete you will see a color change of the goo, then the pockets will slowly decrease in size, then it will look like a clear sack sitting atop the place the nasty bubble was. Which can be syphoned off and it's over with.

Don't bother with much else than a thorough cleaning before initially putting it in a tank, and possibly a day or two in a bucket to get it waterlogged. Mother Nature will indeed deal with it, its hard to wait bc it's an eye sore and also hard to imagine that the garbage isn't affecting the water. But it doesn't. Hope my rammble made sense.