Floor support recommendations needed

JACorso

I also posted this on MFK but thought it might not hurt to throw it up here too..

Is it necessary to add floor support? Thoughts and opinions welcomed/appreciated.

Due to the layout of the house the only place it makes sense to put tanks described below. Beams are 7' apart (3-1/2" x 9-1/4" solid wood). Joists are 18" apart (2-1/2" x 9-1/2" engineered wood i-beam). House was built in '02 and everything is very close to level/plumb.

1. Picture with feet.. 180gal (72x24x24) The tank would sit almost dead center between the two beams in the background and parallel to the joists (L/R edges of the tank would be approx 6" away from the two beams). Thinking I may need to add some support here. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Picture with no feet. 240gal (96x24x24). The tank would sit very close to centered across the two beams and against the wall supported by the 4x4's in the background but parallel to the joists again.

I'd love to reinforce everything everywhere but dragging materials down there to do so is going to be a motherf***er. There are areas where there's barely enough room for me slide between the ground and the floor horizontally to get to where I took these pictures.

- J

Slide1.JPG Slide1.JPG

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
In my last home I had a similar situation with a 210g tank and I felt the need to sister another joist to each one where the tank rested. I also added some cross bracing too. I know its a pain, but it will not hurt anything to add the bracing.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Better safe than sorry. I had to do a similar PITA project years ago, and just the peace of mind of knowing that the tanks were well-supported was worth the aggravation of doing the job. FWIW.

JACorso

Thanks for the input everyone. Almost done adding a couple 4x10 beams on post jacks to split the distance between existing ones and blocking the joists to prevent them rolling any. It does suck dragging sh* around under the house but but it'll be worth it once I get water in the 260 I picked up