My Bichirs!

FishBeast

"Bad" fishy in isolation! She is kind of moping.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Looking cute ain't getting you out of there... Not until your buddy's fin (hopefully) grows back!

FullSizeRender.jpg

FishBeast

How is that lap doing? Are you seeing anything growing from the stump?
The wound is covered in skin now, no growth yet. Though it looks a bit funny barreling around and steering with one fin, it is eating well! Heart of a champion!

Last edited:

FishBeast

How are all the polys doing?

Stumpy starting to show any fin regrowth?
Hi @DMD123 , Stumpy is still stumpy :( I think the injury may have been too severe. Growth slowed down too, although always eating and active. In fact, the sen and ornate have put on an inch of length each and good bulk after about a month of power feeding. Stumpy grew half an inch but no increase in girth.

IMG_2209.JPG IMG_2208.JPG

Betty

Staff member
Don't give up on Stumpy regrowing that fin yet. Not the same kind of fish, but I had an African cichlid that had her tail chewed off way down to the base and into the body. It took forever, but it did grow back -- not to its full original size, but still better than nothing.

FishBeast

Don't give up on Stumpy regrowing that fin yet. Not the same kind of fish, but I had an African cichlid that had her tail chewed off way down to the base and into the body. It took forever, but it did grow back -- not to its full original size, but still better than nothing.
Thanks @Betty ! That gives me hope! :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
How big is the endli compared to the others now?

Is stumpy showing any fin growth.?

FishBeast

Endli is 9-10 inches. Next is ornate at 7, albino sen at 5-6 and little stumpy stuck at 4-5 and skinny. Still no fin. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Do you see the lap eat during the day? If it is not, then you might try feeding with lights off. My weeksii is a super shy day feeder and only thrives because of the night feedings. Massivore and sinking carnivore by Hikari seem to put weight on polys quickly and of course tilapia. But with the ornate and sen looking well fed, I'm going with the shy eater with the lap.

FishBeast

Do you see the lap eat during the day? If it is not, then you might try feeding with lights off. My weeksii is a super shy day feeder and only thrives because of the night feedings. Massivore and sinking carnivore by Hikari seem to put weight on polys quickly and of course tilapia. But with the ornate and sen looking well fed, I'm going with the shy eater with the lap.
I still have the 3 smaller bichirs separated from the endli... Was able to get some lengths (they seem to know when to line up to get measured). The lap is not shy about eating either... he eats 4-5 carnivore pellets whenever I feed. I quarantined him when I got him 3 months ago and gave anti-parasite meds... Do you think it's worth re-treating? Either it's a parasite or the metabolic demand of trying to "regrow" the fin is preventing bulking. :(

FullSizeRender 44.jpg FullSizeRender 47.jpg IMG_2241.JPGIMG_2242.JPG

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The laps I have are slower growers compared to like an endli or ornate. You may just be dealing with that factor or like you said might be the stress of trying to regrow the fin. It likely is not parasites if you treated it already unless it came into contact with another infected fish. Would not hurt to do another treatment if your concerned. I like to Use Tetra parasite guard because it treats for both internal and external parasites.

All that aside, the fish do look good. The ornate is quite the looker and the lap has a nice pattern. I had an albino sen a while back.... I miss it because it was so active. But another fishbox member has it now and it was doing very well last time we talked. I cant remember if we talked about that... the albino sen may not work with the big lower jaws like the endli.

FishBeast

The laps I have are slower growers compared to like an endli or ornate. You may just be dealing with that factor or like you said might be the stress of trying to regrow the fin. It likely is not parasites if you treated it already unless it came into contact with another infected fish. Would not hurt to do another treatment if your concerned. I like to Use Tetra parasite guard because it treats for both internal and external parasites.

All that aside, the fish do look good. The ornate is quite the looker and the lap has a nice pattern. I had an albino sen a while back.... I miss it because it was so active. But another fishbox member has it now and it was doing very well last time we talked. I cant remember if we talked about that... the albino sen may not work with the big lower jaws like the endli.
You're right... I remember you told me that the albino (who has become my favorite due to friendliness and activity level) may eventually have to be kept separate. The ornate can get massive too but he is so shy and cowardly (flees if you look directly at him) so I am assuming he will be hiding a lot. Maybe I'll treat the runt lap this weekend in his own 10G for poops and chuckles.