Shrimp Tank Additives

Betty

Staff member
THEY WILL BE HERE ON THURSDAY!!!!:)<3:)

I might actually be "giddy" at this point. Seriously. Giddy.

Haha, you're excitement is contagious!
e8e936e9.gif

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
THEY'RE HEREEEEEEE!

...and they arrived alive and even frisky at this point!

They're drip acclimating in a bowl on the microwave (pic) and I took another crappy cell phone pic of them in the bowl with their little piece of tule.

I put some food in the tank before the acclimation and they're all hanging out by the drip. Do you think they smell the delicious Fluval Shrimp food I have for them?

I'm over the moon, folks. Seriously. Over. The. MOON.

Edited to add: And did I tell you? They're BEAUTIFUL!!!

Bowl o shrimps.jpg drip acclimation 2.23.17.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Have I told you guys I can't stop going in there and looking at them?

They're surely saying, "Here's that psycho with the glasses peering in at us. What is this lady? A peep show??!!"

By the way, I have way better food for them than that Fluval stuff. I got some fancy food from Japan.

Betty

Staff member
Awesome! Glad they made it on time and especially alive. :)
Their new home looks nice -- I hope they appreciate all the work that went into getting that right!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Awesome! Glad they made it on time and especially alive. :)
Their new home looks nice -- I hope they appreciate all the work that went into getting that right!

Oh Betty - if these little crustaceans knew how much I loved them, they'd be embarrassed. lol It's silly really.

Betty

Staff member
Well, their cute little shrimp faces and busy ways... it's hard not to love them.

I have lots of not great quality cherry shrimp that I wish I had never gotten, but they are so full of personality that I keep them. They ride around on the plecos, showing no fear. Grab pellet food on the surface and ride it down as it falls to the bottom of the tank. So cute and entertaining. I have wasted countless hours over the years trying to catch the babies that get siphoned out during water changes because I feel terrible tossing them out. Because of that, I have to use buckets for their water changes instead of my usual siphoning out the window with other tanks. (I bought a couple of bristlenose plecos at a GSAS meeting a few years ago to add some different genes to my group and with them came 2 little shrimp, some duckweed and snails hitching a ride in the container!)

julzhull

@Betty @julzhull @Knutsen1122 @FishBeast @Loren @everybody lol

I want to make sure you guys see this. I sure appreciate the support and cheerleading.

Now to keep them alive AND breeding like rabbits.
So excited for you! I really want some shrimp but I'm not sure if that's going to happen now. My grumpy betta I bought recently is in my nano tank and I have a bad feeling that if I get shrimp for that tank he might hunt them. He's a gluttonous thing. I have my sole orange shrimp baby in there that I thought he'd eaten but somehow he's still kicking, saw him last weekend during a water change.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Wow! Good for Lil' Orange! He's outwitted the ravenous Betta so far! There's hope.

Everybody survived the night although I only counted 8 this morning. There's two somewhere - probably on the other side of the sponge filter - but I am taking the advice of all the YouTube Shrimpkeepers; keep your mitts out of there!

Betty

Staff member
Just making sure, but do you have an hob filter also and is the intake covered with something shrimp-proof? (I think I remember reading somewhere earlier that it was.)

I had an old-fashioned box filter in my tank at one point and would find so many shrimp inside of that thing. Alive, but trapped in the filter floss. :rolleyes:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Just making sure, but do you have an hob filter also and is the intake covered with something shrimp-proof? (I think I remember reading somewhere earlier that it was.)

I had an old-fashioned box filter in my tank at one point and would find so many shrimp inside of that thing. Alive, but trapped in the filter floss. :rolleyes:

Yes I do, Betty! I'm not taking any chances with these guys/gals!

@17mars - thanks for the comment!

This morning, I could only count 7 of them. Just now, home from work, I count 9 of them. I know the other one is in there somewhere but I'm being overprotective of my little charges. <3

I decided I'm naming them all Darryl. And the one big one I'm naming Marge. Large Marge.

Last edited:

Betty

Staff member
Like the names. (Daryl is one of my favorites on the Walking Dead! :D) I hope they are doing well.