Stock change, what was I thinking? More bichirs

FishBeast

INTERESTING that you mention this, this morning.

I just rearranged everything in this tank, adding a giant (WTF?) cichlid cave for two tiny electric blue rams (doink @ me). I moved the rocks, the plants, everything; making more interesting surfaces to interact with. Maybe this will help him/her?

On a high note: the snails (i.e. DINNER dammit) are in there singing the hallelujah chorus. I think I saw the littlest one flip me off this morning....
Watch the Rams carefully... Depending on where you sourced them they could be heavily inbred and succumb to SRDS (sudden ram death syndrome... I'm not making this up). Fast breathing and inactive then death. Keep water quality pristine, stable and monitor closely! Enjoy!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Watch the Rams carefully... Depending on where you sourced them they could be heavily inbred and succumb to SRDS (sudden ram death syndrome... I'm not making this up). Fast breathing and inactive then death. Keep water quality pristine, stable and monitor closely! Enjoy!

Wow. Good to know! I got mine from Aquarium Co-op so I'm confident they're in as good of shape as they can be.

I do watch them closely - only because that tank is so damn fun to watch. There's always something "going on". This morning, the RAMs have finally figured out that 5am is when the bloodworms show up so they were wigglin' their little tails and hovering at the surface of that tank! I never see that from them. While this was going on, the Congo Tetras are doing their love dance all over the driftwood and the catfish and a handful of red fin tetras have figured out that is where the WARM breakfast might be coming from..... Meanwhile, Sean Puffy Combs is settling right in now. He's getting more and more relaxed. Since I am water quality psychotic, I think it's going to work out for everyone - especially the RAMs!

FishBeast

Wow. Good to know! I got mine from Aquarium Co-op so I'm confident they're in as good of shape as they can be.

I do watch them closely - only because that tank is so damn fun to watch. There's always something "going on". This morning, the RAMs have finally figured out that 5am is when the bloodworms show up so they were wigglin' their little tails and hovering at the surface of that tank! I never see that from them. While this was going on, the Congo Tetras are doing their love dance all over the driftwood and the catfish and a handful of red fin tetras have figured out that is where the WARM breakfast might be coming from..... Meanwhile, Sean Puffy Combs is settling right in now. He's getting more and more relaxed. Since I am water quality psychotic, I think it's going to work out for everyone - especially the RAMs!
Thank goodness you got them from the Co-op! They should be ok... :)
I agree! Feeding time is as much fun for us as it is for the fish...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Okay back on to topic.... bichir

Couple new pics

Faranah Guinea lap

I dont like the angle on this one, it makes the fish look shorter and stub nosed. It is a sleek, elongated poly.

My happy weeksii. Dont really know if he is happy but always seems to smile

FishBeast

Okay back on to topic.... bichir

Couple new pics

Faranah Guinea lap

I dont like the angle on this one, it makes the fish look shorter and stub nosed. It is a sleek, elongated poly.

My happy weeksii. Dont really know if he is happy but always seems to smile
That Weeksii is a cute chunker! Beautiful specimens!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That Weeksii is a cute chunker! Beautiful specimens!
Thanks, appreciate it. I really wish all the polys would be photogenic and be out for pictures. Seems like only one or two at a time is what I can get. Been awhile since I got a good pic of the endli or Ansorgii...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Walked in to my ansorgii sitting on top of my mopani wood. Looked like it was kind of floating there.

The Faranah Guinea lap poking its head out

The weeksii 'hiding' behind a plant. It secretly thinks its invisible, lol.

A common picture Ive captured many times. The ansorgii love to hide behind the mopani but it always likes its head out so it can watch whats going on.

Last edited:

FishBeast

Walked in to my ansorgii sitting on top of my mopani wood. Looked like it was kind of floating there.

The Faranah Guinea lap poking its head out

The weeksii 'hiding' behind a plant. It secretly thinks its invisible, lol.

A common picture Ive captured many times. The ansorgii love to hide behind the mopani but it always likes its head out so it can watch whats going on.
Really love how the weeksii's body is robust but not so fat that the snake-like shape goes away! Beautiful!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Really love how the weeksii's body is robust but not so fat that the snake-like shape goes away! Beautiful!
The weeksii has the nickname 'Fathead' due to the fact they look like they have no neck to speak of and have a thicker head that most polys.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not really an update but going through pics and just noticed my weeksii has this tendency.....

It justs likes to rest on top of any poly. At first I thought 'why do I have two of the same pics?', then realized it was resting on two different fish, lol.

FishBeast

Not really an update but going through pics and just noticed my weeksii has this tendency.....

It justs likes to rest on top of any poly. At first I thought 'why do I have two of the same pics?', then realized it was resting on two different fish, lol.
That is hilarious! She's like "You are a fishy bean bag. I will rest on you!"

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A little photo shoot of my Faranah Guinea lap.

This poly was a happy mistake. When I ordered it (sight unseen), I was just expecting a typical Nigerian lap but was super surprised that this was what I received. It has a very cool pattern. The color shows much darker than the phone captures. My phone tends to wash out the colors.

This is the lap's normal coloration

Head shot

Nice tall finletts

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot the 'soda can pic'. This is a commonly used item in bichir pics to give you idea as to size of fish.

FishBeast

Gorgeous! If you want better shots with your phone, you can turn off all the lights except for the tank light to increase contrast. I also increase saturation after taking the photo but if you have an android you may even be able to do that pre-shot!