My Bichirs!

FishBeast

Still waiting... lol :lol
Finally the Endli has colored up a bit more! Based on the anal fin I believe it's a she. The pattern is still a little faded but definitely more visible. Here's some photos of her hamming it up! The sand I used is really fine so she got a bunch on her back.
IMG_0508.JPG

Here's one of her with the "heads up" posture that lower jaws seem to do. This photo makes me think that she is on Mars looking up into space.
IMG_0487.JPG

I couldn't really get better shots since she keeps pacing the length of the tank. I've got her alone in a 5-foot 125 gallon tank as I am scared to put her in the bichir and eel "community tank"!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The hardcore poly keepers belive that red substrate really brings out the pattern in the fish, especially the lower jaw types. A buddy of mine has an ansorgii bought from the same dealer I got mine but his really stands out on his red gravel. Are you going down the red substrate path with them?

FishBeast

The hardcore poly keepers belive that red substrate really brings out the pattern in the fish, especially the lower jaw types. A buddy of mine has an ansorgii bought from the same dealer I got mine but his really stands out on his red gravel. Are you going down the red substrate path with them?
That's what I'm thinking. Brings out contrast... I don't know if I'll go with this shade of red or something more like terra cotta color (I have gravel like that but not sand).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The ideal poly substrate is red garnet sand. The problem is finding it, lol. It is a natural occurring item that can come in many different shades. Last time I got a sample, it looked good dry, but when wet was a horrible purple color. It looked so fake that I did not order a full amount.

FishBeast

IMG_0720.JPG
@FishBeast, how is the Volta doing? Eating well? New pics? Lol
Hey @DMD123 how are ya? I moved her to a smaller tank with a lighter red/clayish gravel. Stays in her little cave all the time! This is her staring down my kid. She is eating well but only when I'm not looking at her directly! I'll post more pics when I get back from vacation. Can you tell how addicted I am to this forum?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good. Young polys do tend to want to hide, a survival instinct. But if you want the fish to be more 'social', it needs to get used to seeing you and the movement outside the tank. So you might just want to see what happens if you remove the cave for a while. You can just arrange large driftwood and rocks so it feels safe but then you can still see it.

Look forward to more pics! Have fun on vacation.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
View attachment 3327
Hey @DMD123 how are ya? I moved her to a smaller tank with a lighter red/clayish gravel. Stays in her little cave all the time! This is her staring down my kid. She is eating well but only when I'm not looking at her directly! I'll post more pics when I get back from vacation. Can you tell how addicted I am to this forum?

If that isn't the cutest pic ever!!!!

FishBeast

Looking good. Young polys do tend to want to hide, a survival instinct. But if you want the fish to be more 'social', it needs to get used to seeing you and the movement outside the tank. So you might just want to see what happens if you remove the cave for a while. You can just arrange large driftwood and rocks so it feels safe but then you can still see it.

Look forward to more pics! Have fun on vacation.
I think I'll do that! Thank you! Do you think maybe the isolation is also playing a part? I just might have to bite the bullet and put him in with the other polys if so. I keep thinking of the Endli with a sen in its mouth.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Thanks @VickiK! Of the 3 kids the youngest (4 year old) seems to have to most interest in fish! He was the one who "begged" me for the betta hehe

My daughter had a goldfish when she was but an infant! (I guess what I really had was a gold fish in the baby's room...lol) She's a betta-girl today; tried and true.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'll do that! Thank you! Do you think maybe the isolation is also playing a part? I just might have to bite the bullet and put him in with the other polys if so. I keep thinking of the Endli with a sen in its mouth.
The isolation does makes it more shy. With other poly you will see a pecking order get established and likely more activity. As to it eating another poly.... its kind of a risk but you have to do it at some point. Keep them well fed during the introduction and watch for agression.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That endli looks sweet! Really has colored up and the banding is outstanding. Started feeding tilapia to it yet? Still looks a bit thin....

FishBeast

That endli looks sweet! Really has colored up and the banding is outstanding. Started feeding tilapia to it yet? Still looks a bit thin....
Eats a lot but I have to play catch up as I was gone for 10 days and it was only fed twice in that time frame! I haven't started on the tilapia though. Mostly feeding the frozen food I have here (Hikari bloodworms, and beefheart) plus the Hikari sinking pellets.