cichlids...how many and which americas in 75g

Dmf

so how many large cichlids can go in a 75g tank? a mated pair? just a single cause their aggressiveand get to 10in??

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
One in a 75g unless it's a smaller cichlid ( like up to 7-8" mark) then I'd do a pair.....

With that being said, I'm currently growing out 3 red isletas 5-6", and two Midas 5-6" in my bedroom 75. They do some chasing, but I'm not quite ready to pick out my keepers

Reactions: Dmf

Dmf

You could always ship them :) local pet store will do it. I had this done before. The fish did great. I acclimated them to my water in just under 4 hrs. and had some Xmas cichlids for a while. Got 6 juvie and gave them away. But now i just cant wait for my Frontosa to come. he is about 6in. live in a tank with other fish. So i might be able to put something with him just what?

Madness

Staff member
Oh I know how to ship, and have all the necessary equipment needed, I just wont ship. I only ship airport to airport and the airport is over an hour away and I have to travel in some of the worst traffic, so if I ship it has to be a sizable order to make it worth my time.

Dmf

Okay. You have a list of fish you sell? I check Jeff Rapps all the time. Thinking about some tank mates like squeakers, and plecos. L102 i used to have 3 of. But i like cool different fish. Just not rich Lol I got mine when i bought a tank it was part of the deal. Kinda like this frontosa. So do you use Tanganyika buffer? I was always told its better to acclimate the fish to 7.5 instead of trying to keep the ph up. So any advice. I have his tank sitting in front of me. my glass lids came. waiting on the build for the light bar. I have the heater ready. Think i am going for 3 airlines. i have an underwater one i been wanting to use. Mr. kink and Ike have water movers on their tanks. Do frontosa need them? everything i read says they are slow fish.

Madness

Staff member
I do not know much about the Fronts, but someday I will have a large tank full of them. I want the really expensive ones though, so it may be a while. haha. So I wish that I had more info on them for you.

Right now I have F1 barred Midas, orange Midas, Devils and Trimac. Been trying to breed my Chancho but the male killed his female this past weekend so he is going into the male tank and I may move my male Isletas into the Chancho tank and see if I can get more of his line. His line has been a big hit amongst the Amph enthusiasts.

My Pleco tank is probably my most expensive tank when it comes to stock, those suckers are not cheap.