Ick maybe?

lingotheowl

HI all, I have a 29 gallon aquarium with 3 angels, 6 bloodfin tetras, 3 gold barbs, 2 khuli loaches, a female betta, a pearl gourami, and a mystery snail. It has a sponge filter. My bloodfins seem to have white spots on them. Almost looks like mold. I've treated the tank with melafix for a week now and done a water change. The tank is well established and the water parameters are all healthy. I'm curious what's going on with my tetras and how to fix it.

Madness

Staff member
Salt is an old method, and it has been proven that salt is not good for fresh water fish. Fresh water fish use lots of energy to maintain osmotic balance, and when you add salt it throws this all out of whack. Not to mention the reason they say that salt causes the fish to produce a slime coat, well it does this because the salt is burning the fish and it is producing the coat to protect itself. like your eye waters more when you add salt to it.

Pictures are the only way for us to give you an accurate diagnosis

Madness

Staff member
Every day water changes, and ICH cure, rid ick plus, ich guard, all will do the job.

But you must understand that just because you dont see it anymore does not mean that it is gone. ICH gestation period is 72 days, so once you no longer see the spots, continue to treat for 1-2 more weeks

L190

Out of curiosity though, why hasn't it effected any other fish?
Some fish are more resistant then others, it also depends on the immune system of the fish. Maybe that fish was more stressed out which lowers it's immune system which made it more susceptible to ich.
What I have done in the past was to raise temp up a bit, add extra airstones in the tank and use ich-x. I treat for 1 week after the last spot disappear due to madness reasoning.

Madness

Staff member
Regardless of who our where you buy your fish you should always quarantine new fish for a minimum of 6-8 weeks. Nothing worse than bringing in a new $5 fish that brings in a disease that kills off your $200 fish

I've actually been having decent luck, none of my fish have passed away in a long time. I just have a lot of tanks also. I also had to learn the lesson that buying fish from petco/pets mart can be risky.
yeah I learned my lesson too so I will never buy fish from Petco/petsmart (or as I like to call them petno and petfart:p). Btw how many tanks do you have?

lingotheowl

yeah I learned my lesson too so I will never buy fish from Petco/petsmart (or as I like to call them petno and petfart:p). Btw how many tanks do you have?
I have two 29s, a 20 long, a regular 20, and 2 10 gallons. My boyfriend also takes care of around 15 betas (that's his hobby) and I also have a baby mystery snail tank right now.

Madness

Staff member
That's currently only because I live on the top story of an apartment building. When I move, I plan to combine my 29s into a 55.

Oh come on, 55s are such a wasted tank. For just a few dollars more get a 75, you can do sooooo much more with it. Id almost prefer a 40 breeder over a 55 every time. In fact a 5' 110 or 120 is even a better way to go ;)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I'm a 40b over a 55 everyday too. I like the 18" wide aspect for my fish.....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I do have a really old acrylic 55 that I'll probably never get rid of! It has great dimensions for a 55 48x15x20 inches. I received it as a 17 th birthday gift from my dad....

I'm now 37( almost 38) and I have so much more available to me with the 15" wide as opposed to a 12-13" inch wide.....

Let us know when you get your bigger tank and we can hook you up with some quality cichlid fry ( the best fish on the planet) haha