Show off your SRT growouts

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I know a lot of us took advantage of the sweet offer to get a SRT (super red Texas) from Thailand.... let’s see them!

Here is my female. She is currently 4-4.5” but she hasn’t faded yet. Pic is from my iPhone6 with the auto edit button checked...
5F26E86C-36F0-4BC0-8230-93930982987A.jpeg

Soundline

Pretty!!!! Can’t wait till we can get a big tank. Really looking forward to having a monster or two lol

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you!

And for all of us that bought them but aren’t sharing any pics..... come on, let’s get some uploaded. Haha

Tank

Lol I texted them this morning hopefully they post em! This is the one I ended up keeping haha he wasnt my original keeper but that one got bought.

20171202_103239.jpg 20171202_103145.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Here's Tankie - this one was taken two months ago. Once he stops hiding in his flower pot, I'll get a fresh one and upload. This is just one to tide you over. lol Tankie is getting BIG and he's pretty too.

Tankie with his fake plants 10.4.17.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
OK. Terrible pic - but that's what I could get with my crappy little phone camera! I tried to measure him -- by putting a tape up to the glass - and he freaked. He's a solid 5.5" - maybe 6".

Tankie 12.2.17.jpg

Tank

I did get an update from another guy but he keeps his in black substrate it turned almost completely black, he said he would change his substrate and give me another update later.

Tank

Wow he did get super dark! This was Yoda the day you picked him up! If you get any fry from the pair let me know!20170908_140447.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I did get an update from another guy but he keeps his in black substrate it turned almost completely black, he said he would change his substrate and give me another update later.

No kidding. These fish! They keep us guessing. Tankie DOES have a red "background" that's hard to capture on film. Or maybe it's me just wishing this is so? lol Possible. His little spots are so close together that they don't let much red come though. I hope that changes as he gets bigger.

Tank

No kidding. These fish! They keep us guessing. Tankie DOES have a red "background" that's hard to capture on film. Or maybe it's me just wishing this is so? lol Possible. His little spots are so close together that they don't let much red come though. I hope that changes as he gets bigger.
I think Tankie actually has one of the nicer pearl patterns!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I just took this one of Tankie. What does "hope he fades" mean? I've been watching Texas Red Cichlid videos on YouTube and they all mention this. What does that mean?

He really has a lot of red -- I think -- but it's hard to capture with my crappy cell phone camera!

Tankie 12.9.17.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Fading is the process of some fish where they lose their juvenile ( drap/ camoflauged color) and transition into their adult colors.

For example, the majority of amphilophus fade from gray/ striped to orange, yellow, or something slightly darker..... being that red Texas pretty much all start out with one parent being an amph, the likelihood that they will fade the base color ( in our case, a faint orange/ gray color) to a bright red or orange red base color with the blueish spangles on top.

In fact, I have a pure red devil growout ( about 3”) in with my srt and he is starting to fade( they get a dark/ gray black color all over before it fading / peeling into a nice bright color

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
75EE7C3E-5E46-44F6-941A-4B8CAD2796E7.jpeg

Here it is at the earliest stage of peeling... you can see some darker color on his forehead and orange/ red coming out in his fins.

He has faded a lot more as this pic is two weeks old. I’ll snap a pic on Monday when I’m back at work to show you the progress