Spotted Congo Puffer craze!

Cole

T. Shoetedeni doesn't really bother other fishes. They're very peaceful. =) I think the $125 that you're talking about is for the much smaller ones..

Yeah... about 1.75" to 2" is what Wes quoted me a price for the one that jumped. I'd say the one we got from The Wet Spot was about the same size. But, she's already adding some bulk and length, even after only 2 weeks.

Mike16T

Yeah... about 1.75" to 2" is what Wes quoted me a price for the one that jumped. I'd say the one we got from The Wet Spot was about the same size. But, she's already adding some bulk and length, even after only 2 weeks.

That's good.. =)
The one that @julzhull adopted from me is fully bulk up already.. =P
He's a fatso.. ;);)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Oh it's nerve racking. First time it happened, He was on the verge of dying. . His skin is already dry when I picked him up, but breathing heavy. I put him back in the tank and he just sank without movement. I saw him still breathing and watched him for 30 minutes. I gave him a little push and he moved and back to normal. lol.

holy crap!

julzhull

So um @Mike16T...when we brought Hoppy home we put him in our 10g that had two culled guppies and a juvie pleco. Yesterday as I was doing a water change I noticed that one of the guppies was dead on the bottom, kind of looking munched on. Then I saw the pleco looked stressed and his fins were ratty. So, I thought, well...the guppy did have a funky abdomen (hence the cull) so maybe it was due to that. I moved the pleco to another tank. Today I came home to a bite that was take out of the tail of the remaining guppy.

So um, do you think I need to keep him secluded? Did he really not munch on any previous tank mates? :confused::confused::confused:

Mike16T

Is there plenty of hiding space? Hoppy never bother any of my fish the tank so I found that very odd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
This is awesome to hear. (not the munching fish part). I love puffers and have wanted another one since my GSP passed. I didn't prefer the upkeep of the brackish water so wanted a true FW. I'd prefer to get one when it was small anyhow. Then I could get it accustomed to living with fish. I could have a mini version of Murphy's tank! lol

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Is there plenty of hiding space? Hoppy never bother any of my fish the tank so I found that very odd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

You mean Hoppy wouldn't enjoy a lovely Homely Endler's snack? Too bad. :p

FishBeast

Sorry for late reply, thought I'd get my 2 cents in:

Tank size required: Mine is in a 20G long alone.
Does it eat tank mates: Only shrimp
Does it eat plants: No
Does it rip up plants: Shredder of leaves, stems
Can other foods be fed than bloodworms (I'm allergic): krill and pellets! :) Earthworms too.
How much do they roughly cost to get: Got mine $190 last year
Where did you purchase one from: Aquarium Co-Op
Sponge filter work for these or would a HOB/Canister filter be better for water flow: Either one as long as you clean meticulously... Messy eaters

Very cute!

magpie

I also have a Schouetedeni! His name is Meatball. Still not fully grown - I got him from Wet Spot. Mine is currently in a 20 long and so far it seems like plenty. I have it heavily planted.

Such a cute interactive fish! When I'm feeding or staring at my other tank next to his, he is always at the side of his tank that I'm on, begging at me.
FEED ME NOW, HUMAN.
Meatball1.jpg

I have plenty of MTS in another tank but he can't eat them (nor Assassin snails) as the shell is too hard. So I will occasionally crush them up for him to eat.
He also readily eats out of tongs - comes FLYING up to them when I put them in the tank. :)

Here are my answers to the questions earlier.

Tank size required:
For now mine is OK in a heavily planted 20 long. I think it will be OK long term. This isn't a super active puffer overall, but they do swim around and hunt and explore. The plants add to environment enrichment which I think is important.

Does it eat tank mates:
Mine has only chomped the tails of two fish - both were bichirs. I moved him out of that tank and he's touched no one else - eats mixed in with the other fish and doesn't even fight over food. Currently he's with golden white clouds, cories, chili rasboras, and scarlet badis. I also have some left over shrimp in the tank and some are still there. But wouldn't count on shrimp as a tankmate.

Does it eat plants:
Mine doesn't touch them. Might hit one if a snail is on it but that's it.

Does it rip up plants: No, not at all.

Can other foods be fed than bloodworms (I'm allergic):
Mine eats bloodworms but also - snails, snails, snails, krill, chopped up pieces of clam and squid, live blackworms and live earthworms. He won't touch fish like silversides.

How much do they roughly cost to get: Still spendy, as noted.

Where did you purchase one from: Wet Spot.

Sponge filter work for these or would a HOB/Canister filter be better for water flow:
Mine has a HOB. Flow doesn't seem to bother him but he also doesn't particularly seek it out either.

Mike16T

Oh I miss Hoppy! ='(

Very nice puffer! ^_^ mine is the opposite of yours. He is the alpha in the tank and he is kinda of a jerk because he loves picking on my expensive plants! He would not touch the regular cheap ones, he rips off leaves from the expensive ones... >_>

I also have a Schouetedeni! His name is Meatball. Still not fully grown - I got him from Wet Spot. Mine is currently in a 20 long and so far it seems like plenty. I have it heavily planted.

Such a cute interactive fish! When I'm feeding or staring at my other tank next to his, he is always at the side of his tank that I'm on, begging at me.
FEED ME NOW, HUMAN.
View attachment 4330

I have plenty of MTS in another tank but he can't eat them (nor Assassin snails) as the shell is too hard. So I will occasionally crush them up for him to eat.
He also readily eats out of tongs - comes FLYING up to them when I put them in the tank. :)

Here are my answers to the questions earlier.

Tank size required:
For now mine is OK in a heavily planted 20 long. I think it will be OK long term. This isn't a super active puffer overall, but they do swim around and hunt and explore. The plants add to environment enrichment which I think is important.

Does it eat tank mates:
Mine has only chomped the tails of two fish - both were bichirs. I moved him out of that tank and he's touched no one else - eats mixed in with the other fish and doesn't even fight over food. Currently he's with golden white clouds, cories, chili rasboras, and scarlet badis. I also have some left over shrimp in the tank and some are still there. But wouldn't count on shrimp as a tankmate.

Does it eat plants:
Mine doesn't touch them. Might hit one if a snail is on it but that's it.

Does it rip up plants: No, not at all.

Can other foods be fed than bloodworms (I'm allergic):
Mine eats bloodworms but also - snails, snails, snails, krill, chopped up pieces of clam and squid, live blackworms and live earthworms. He won't touch fish like silversides.

How much do they roughly cost to get: Still spendy, as noted.

Where did you purchase one from: Wet Spot.

Sponge filter work for these or would a HOB/Canister filter be better for water flow:
Mine has a HOB. Flow doesn't seem to bother him but he also doesn't particularly seek it out either.

julzhull

Oh I miss Hoppy! ='(

Very nice puffer! ^_^ mine is the opposite of yours. He is the alpha in the tank and he is kinda of a jerk because he loves picking on my expensive plants! He would not touch the regular cheap ones, he rips off leaves from the expensive ones... >_>
QQQQQQ