Insulating Outdoor Mini Pond?

I have a small 15 gallon Rubbermaid tote housing some plants and white cloud mountain minnows. I was trying to find a way to insulate it to keep the temperatures up. I was thinking of building a frame using 2x4 and some unused wood flooring slightly bigger than the tub. Put Styrofoam in between the tub and frame and fill the gaps with spray foam. Finally a top with the corrugated greenhouse panel. Hopefully the greenhouse top can keep heat in from sunlight but if the temps drop too far down I will put a heater in. I'm not sure how effective that Styrofoam idea will be, any better ideas? I don't have the safety equipment for fiberglass. Also whats the lowest WCMM's can go? Seriously fish says 14 C or 57 F but I have seen some places that said they can survive 50 F.

Loren

I have read that they can survive temperatures down to almost freezing. With that being said I wouldn't recommend leaving them out in the Pacific Northwest over the winter. No matter what your plants would die from lack of sufficient light and 15 gallons of water isn't much of a buffer for a extended cold snap. I have a group outside as well in a 55 gallon tub with a heater but still plan to bring them in by the end of October. I would look for options of bring the tote inside for a few months even if it is only in a garage.

FishBeast

White clouds can handle down to low 40s! Loren's garage idea is good. You can shine clip on light on it with a timer to keep the plants going.

Last edited:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Just put a lid on it whatever you do. My beautiful White Clouds that I got from Aquarium Co-op, all jumped ship on me -- through the TINIEST opening you can imagine.

Oh and Mr. Magic ate some.

Yea, I was thinking about this a little. What if I put them in a 55 gallon drum but it was sunken into the ground with the corrugated greenhouse panel over it? Do you think it will trap some heat and keep it a good enough temp?

Livebearer Lady

I use and have a big roll of Silver Mylar used in the HVAC trades. R value is 4 and 6 with air-gap. I too have a Rubbermaide pond that's been going for 4+ years now. I also put a heater in there during colder nights and only works when really needed. Look me up for this Mylar to wrap around your Rubbermaide pond... Works exellent