WTB Carinotetraodon Irrubesco or Lorteti (up to $100)

KnownToSome

Been looking for this rare freshwater puffer since the end of 2015 and have spoke to every online seller, storefront, importer/exporter and wholesaler who has sold this genus of uncommon dwarf red eye puffer (of either genus). They are not available and won't be again in the US in the foreseeable future. So I now turn to the public and ask "look in your tank and dig deeeep in your heart! And I'll dig deep in my pocket in return!!!" The only way these will be gotten in the USA is from someone selling theirs who already got one during the boom a few years back.

Female Irrubesco preferred, with female Lorteti 2nd, and male of either genus coming in last. I am offering 10xs the price of this fish for the above reasons, and I just want to close this "searching" chapter of my life, and move on to "enjoying the fish" I have had this cycled tank and live food running so long for...my Holey grail (puffer) fish.

Last edited:

Mike16T

Been looking for this rare freshwater puffer since the end of 2015 and have spoke to every online seller, storefront, importer/exporter and wholesaler who has sold this genus of uncommon dwarf red eye puffer (of either genus). They are not available and won't be again in the US in the foreseeable future. So I now turn to the public and ask "look in your tank and dig deeeep in your heart! And I'll dig deep in my pocket in return!!!" The only way these will be gotten in the USA is from someone selling theirs who already got one during the boom a few years back.

Female Irrubesco preferred, with female Lorteti 2nd, and male of either genus coming in last. I am offering 10xs the price of this fish for the above reasons, and I just want to close this "searching" chapter of my life, and move on to "enjoying the fish" I have had this cycled tank and live food running so long for...my Holey grail (puffer) fish.

I have a feeling you're the person from ThePuffer Forum who is looking for those puffers.

KnownToSome

I have a feeling you're the person from ThePuffer Forum who is looking for those puffers.

TPF, MFK, FL, FB, and Aquabid. This puffer is the only fish I have ever seen that stopped me dead in my tracks, and I have been restless and discontent in my fruitless search ever since.
Beside the fact I find it the most beautiful fish I've ever seen, everything about it is perfect for me, which is what's driven me to search so long.

It is truly looking like this puffer may not be back in the states for a while...

Mike16T

TPF, MFK, FL, FB, and Aquabid. This puffer is the only fish I have ever seen that stopped me dead in my tracks, and I have been restless and discontent in my fruitless search ever since.
Beside the fact I find it the most beautiful fish I've ever seen, everything about it is perfect for me, which is what's driven me to search so long.

It is truly looking like this puffer may not be back in the states for a while...

Are the pne who was looking to bring in huge number of Lorteti here i the US? I remeber a post about that at TPF

KnownToSome

That was me, and the exporter ended up flaking last minute bc there weren't enough available to fulfil a minimum order.

I think they are always available but not too much demand in the country. Cost of those puffers are cheap, but getting them in the US cost a lot.

Bingo. 10$ fish, they don't make the trip well and are really hard to source responsibly. The only ones that are really sold are side catches anymore, and the only place they pop up is U.K. And Australia once and a while. The schoutedeni was out of the hobby for 30 years, but that's bc they come from Africa and there's bigger things going on over there... but Sumatra, the Mekong basin... other fish from that same geographic area show up all the time, but no red eye FW Carinotetraodons.

Mike16T

Wow.. Took you awhile to source those... i understand about that about order fulfillment since you are getting it from a wholesale..
That was me, and the exporter ended up flaking last minute bc there weren't enough available to fulfil a minimum order.

Bingo. 10$ fish, they don't make the trip well and are really hard to source responsibly. The only ones that are really sold are side catches anymore, and the only place they pop up is U.K. And Australia once and a while. The schoutedeni was out of the hobby for 30 years, but that's bc they come from Africa and there's bigger things going on over there... but Sumatra, the Mekong basin... other fish from that same geographic area show up all the time, but no red eye FW Carinotetraodons.

discus_2013

try pet works in Olympia... they were getting them in all the time ask to talk to larry he knows his puffers pretty well, I got my congo puffer there, had it for almost 4 years, got my buddy a male red eye, then he bought a female later, they always have puffers in and out.

KnownToSome

I have been laid up with strep throat, and I get on for the first time in a while to find this. Excitement mixed with disappointment. I guess worst case scenario I could try and bribe and beg your friend lol

KnownToSome

I will ask him if he still has them he just moved so if he does he may be keen to getting rid of them.

I would be eternally indebted to you! I'll bake you a cake, clean your house, feed your fish while you're on vacation....? Lol

I did reach out to The Pet Works in Olympia, I haven't got a message back yet but I'll prob get impatient and just call in a few hours! TBH, I have all but completely lost my spirit looking for these puffs. I have never wanted something so much before, let alone a tiny puffer, but it's been a rollerxoaster ride of misidentified fish, people backing out on me, and several scam attempts....

Thank you all for your help and input, it's always nice when others offer you a hand up!

KnownToSome

Man. This must be ONE SPECIAL FISH!
Not to everyone but to me, very! I fell in love the moment I saw it! as I read became obsessed. I am absolutely enchanted with puffers, and the red eyes caught my attention first! Its freshwater, and that's all I keep. It's max size is 2.5", and I have always preferred smaller planted tanks. It's nocturnal, and as I have two young kids, all my water change and interactive time with my fish happens after kids in bed. The Irrubesco are actually one of the less aggressive puffers too, so keeping a pair is possible, another thing I've always wanted. But alas, they have been so elusive...

discus_2013

Well bad news my buddy sold his for 10 bucks when he moved, keep trying Pet works, Larry (who works there) might even own some. Like I said they used to get them all the time.

KnownToSome

I knew it was too good, if I had soup I would cry in it, good thing I have a pint or two of ice cream.

Ten dollars, good lord! He coulda had 200$ for the two, how did he not see my desperate adds smeared all over the internet. Off to eat my woes away.

Still haven't heard back from Olympia. I give up!

IMG_0376.JPG