Aquarium club in Silverdale / Bremerton

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

Erik Olson at GSAS has mentioned several times that many years ago there used to be a very active club over on the peninsula, the KIitsap Aquarium Soceity. It was incorporated in WA in 1974 and was a thriving club in the 70's and 80's. You can still find some information about the club online. I would encourage you start one up again!
Kitsap Aquarium Society, Inc.
P.O. Box 1145, Silverdale, WA 98383, Rosemary Mearns, 306-692-9082. Meets the 1st Tuesday of every month at Silverdale Scout Hall, 9161 Washington Ave. Dues: $12.50/person in Family, $2.50 for each additional member, $7.50 - Juniors.

Evergreenblue

Thanks Seattle Aquarist!
A legitimate non-profit club is what I had in mind, and intend on looking into. I feel like I need to gauge the interest first before going down the path, but I'd like to either figure out how to re-establish the inactive organization or start a new one.
I've never been to a GSAS meeting, or met any members/officers, but I'd love to perhaps get some advice from the officers on some of the processes I should be considering. I've done some preliminary research on how to establish. Is there any national entity that anyone knows of that I could start a local chapter of? I was even thinking that it could perhaps be setup as a chapter of the GSAS, but not sure if GSAS is setup to support that.

Evergreenblue

me too! except i've detoxed from facebook hahaha
FishBeast, considering you're down in Gig Harbor, is there a limit to how far you'd be willing to travel for a local club? I figured Central Kitsap would be a good meeting location whenever something can be established.

So, I'll try to contact someone about the dissolved Kitsap Aquarium Society about if it can be revived or not. I'll also try to get in touch with someone from GSAS who has the experience and can give some guidance (if that person is on the forum, please reply or pm me!). I'll also start looking into what would be necessary for a formal 501c7 club, but wait until we can get something going and get some consensus. Regarding the mission/vision... I personally like the idea of promoting the hobby, education and conservation. I'd like this to be equally open to fresh, salt, brackish, plants, etc. I was thinking about setting something up informally to get things started, perhaps a Meetup group or something? I'm sure this forum is adequate for some, but I also assume some people in the area aren't aware of Fishbox (I wasn't).

Anyway, this is something I'm legitimately interested in establishing, so I'd love to hear from you all!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Evergreenblue,

First, please just call me Roy. I am a retired president of GSAS and have been on the board of directors for 8 years, if you have questions I will be glad to assist.

Currently the Kitsap Aquarium Society is listed as an 'Inactive' non-profit corporation in the State of Washington - it was made 'Inactive' in 2002 (likely for failing to file an annual report to the state listing officers). KAS was formed in 1974 (about the same time as GSAS); here is the State of WA listing for the club, click on the name for contact information. Looks like reinstatement fee for the club would be about $35.

PM me if you have questions or need assistance.

xmattiex

Hello @Seattle_Aquarist (Roy),

Matt here, @Evergreenblue 's friend and "other half" to the proposed start-up/revival of a Kitsap-based aquarist club. I'd also be interested in have a discussion about the processes involved with updating and or transferring POC information for the non-profit filing. We are both interested in discussing general club structuring and processes involved as well as gauge the level of interest in locally in order to provide a baseline to start from. Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Matt

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Tentative logo I just made - I'd love to hear what people think!

View attachment 3188

As a SWAG Guru, I love the logo - the colors and design - very on trend. The challenge is printing it on something. If you're doing it digitally - great. No problem. If you have to pad print or screen print that on anything - there will be a moderate challenges - mostly additional cost. I would proudly wear a t-shirt bearing that logo and love it - but know that you're printing three additional ink colors. And there's also set up charges associated with that.

Just saying. I wanna help. :)

xmattiex

to be honest the Facebook group we started has been very useful. Without dues.
I appreciate the opinion, and can definitely understand where you're coming from. I'll apologize now for the wall of text!

I understand most folks now-a-days are attracted to the "Facebook group" model, and many have even gravitated entirely away from the more dated "local club" or forum model. Our greater "vision", if you will, is to expand upon this older model, pivoting it into something more than a simple club that hold monthly meetings and has an occasional fish/frag swap and further branch out. This could involve organizing local outreach events, opportunities for public education/involvement for non-hobbyists as well as a our greater long-term goal of partnering with the Poulsbo SEA Discovery Center (and of course WWU) and any other interested organizations to provide support with volunteer work and develop fundraising opportunities targeted towards promoting interest in the sciences via public education and other conservation projects and naturalist efforts. While Facebook can be great (however equally horrible at times) many don't use or have no interest in Facebook for a suite of different reasons. I understand there is a Kitsap (or more generally Western WA) based aquarist group on Facebook already and we are certainly not trying/promoting not using this as I'm sure it is great for those who use Facebook regularly. Rather, re-establishing a Kitsap Club might further provide the already strong network of hobbyists a means to expand and grow even further. Doing so will provide the opportunity to share experiences through organized monthly-ish meet-ups and allow for a more regimented way to contribute to the hobby we all enjoy in whatever capacity/level that suites your needs or desires. I understand many have reservations with monthly/annual dues, however, having that as a resource can allow for club activities and outreach to become so much more than a simple exchange with a friend on social media and pivot it into a far reaching effort to promote the sustainability of the hobby and work to erase stigmas associated with fish keeping that some may have. Pairing said resources such as Facebook groups, LFSs' etc. with the aforementioned club will undoubtedly aid in further spreading this network of hobbyists into something that's so much more than just a group of folks to trade livestock and other dry goods with.

I'm certainly curious to here your's as well as all others thoughts about this!

- Matt

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Matt (@xmattiex),

Your comments pretty well echo my sentiments; I believe that clubs, forums, and even Facebook/Youtube have the ability not only to promote the hobby but also to enhance our enjoyment of it. I do a little Facebook, I enjoy forums, but I get the most enjoyment out of meeting and talking with other hobbyists that are as excited as I am about our hobby!

GSAS is dedicated to promoting our hobby. When I joined GSAS a about 9 years ago our meetings consisted of about 15 people showing up and mostly local speakers (mostly other members). The club had about $300 in the bank account. Today the club has 250+ members, meetings regularly have 70+ members and guests, and we have an annual operating budget of about $14K for speakers (both national and international) philanthropy, monthly newsletter, programs promoting both fish breeding and plant plant propagation; an active CARES program promoting the keeping and breeding of endangered fish species, and various picnics and parties during the year. The club has an extensive book and video library (with most of the recent videos on-line and stream-able in HD) for our members. The annual club dues has remained the same throughout the period, $15 for a single or $20 for a family.

I am willing to share how the changes outlined were accomplished. It did not happen overnight nor by just one or two members, there were about half a dozen or so members that have done most of the 'heavy lifting' to get GSAS where our club is today.

xmattiex

I love WaFishBox, various Facebook fish related forums and GSAS. It is the perfect trifecta.
Hmmm, I gotcha.
Hi Matt (@xmattiex),

Your comments pretty well echo my sentiments; I believe that clubs, forums, and even Facebook/Youtube have the ability not only to promote the hobby but also to enhance our enjoyment of it. I do a little Facebook, I enjoy forums, but I get the most enjoyment out of meeting and talking with other hobbyists that are as excited as I am about our hobby!

GSAS is dedicated to promoting our hobby. When I joined GSAS a about 9 years ago our meetings consisted of about 15 people showing up and mostly local speakers (mostly other members). The club had about $300 in the bank account. Today the club has 250+ members, meetings regularly have 70+ members and guests, and we have an annual operating budget of about $14K for speakers (both national and international) philanthropy, monthly newsletter, programs promoting both fish breeding and plant plant propagation; an active CARES program promoting the keeping and breeding of endangered fish species, and various picnics and parties during the year. The club has an extensive book and video library (with most of the recent videos on-line and stream-able in HD) for our members. The annual club dues has remained the same throughout the period, $15 for a single or $20 for a family.

I am willing to share how the changes outlined were accomplished. It did not happen overnight nor by just one or two members, there were about half a dozen or so members that have done most of the 'heavy lifting' to get GSAS where our club is today.
I appreciate your incite Roy,

I feel like you've done an even better job of capturing the message I was trying to convey. @Evergreenblue and I are very interested in the education/promotion and philanthropic aspects of what face to face aquarist clubs have to offer. It will no doubt be an undertaking that I can absolutely understand will not happen over night! We are prepared to do a lot of the heavy lifting needed to get the process in motion, and are looking for all the invaluable incite we can find. We were hoping to establish a meet-up, if you will, of interested or curious individuals in the kitsap and surrounding areas (hoping to arrange sometime Mid-August) in hopes of establishing a baseline of interested individuals and sort of build from there. There is still much to be determined/discussed but Dave and I would be quite interested in all the info you can share. I feel bad clogging up this thread so if there is a more appropriate place/method to discuss things further please let me know. Sorry @Evergreenblue for bombarding the conversation haha

Evergreenblue

Wow, Matt, I seemed to have missed a lot over the past couple days! Bombard away, we're on the same page of course...

I need to do some digging to catch up, but I'll echo what you said about Mid-August. Does this sound like a good goal for the interested people around Kitsap for an INFORMAL meeting to get some brainstorming and perhaps a "Kick-off"?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Hi Matt (@xmattiex),
Your comments pretty well echo my sentiments; I believe that clubs, forums, and even Facebook/Youtube have the ability not only to promote the hobby but also to enhance our enjoyment of it. I do a little Facebook, I enjoy forums, but I get the most enjoyment out of meeting and talking with other hobbyists that are as excited as I am about our hobby! ...

This sounds like a fantastic idea to me, and I totally agree with the comment that... I get the most enjoyment out of meeting and talking with other hobbyists that are as excited as I am about our hobby! Yes, I like the WA FishBox, but as they say "Ain't nothin' like the real thing..."

After 20 years in Seattle, I moved to Kitsap 5 years ago, and I have been frustrated by the lack of quality LFSs or any kind of organized aquarium culture on the peninsula. I also miss my fish friends in town, not to mention local outlets for any fry. So I am totally interested in the possibility of a local club in the area; a real club that actually does things in the real world. Don't even talk to me about Facebook.

One of the greatest times I had in the aquarium hobby was many years ago when I belonged to a local club called the Elm City Aquarium Society in New Haven, CT. The club was run by some heavy hitters from the American Cichlid Association, including Lee Finley and Mack Clarke, but everyone was welcome, from semi-professional breeders to absolute newbies. We had monthly meetings with a bowl show, an auction, and a speaker on some topic of general interest. Afterwards, we'd go out for beers. It was great fun. It was also an exciting time, because we were well and truly in the midst of the 'African Invasion,' i. e. the mid-70's, and new species from Malawi and Tanganyika were coming into Jack Freiberg's place (less than 2-hours away) just about every weekend. Really fun.

So count me in. I'm on the west side of Liberty Bay, about half way between Poulsbo and Silverdale. :)

Last edited:

Evergreenblue

Hi, @sir_keith,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your interest! What you described is another good example of what a local club can become, and what I think we're looking for. It sounds like you have some experience with a some different clubs - with their organization, events, etc. I wonder if you'd be interested in helping get the ball rolling on this? Matt (@xmattiex) and I aren't far from you, it would be cool to sit down with someone local with your experience to discuss some of this.

I think the goal will be to collect the necessary information to start, along with good reasons why, and gather a group in Mid-August to discuss the "revival" of a Kitsap club. For everyone's information, I spoke with the Secretary of State office this week, and reinstating the old club is no longer a possibility, as it's been too long. That said, we'll be starting a brand new club. Roy (@Seattle_Aquarist) has been kind enough to PM me some info to help get the research going (thanks again!).

(P.S. I hope I used the @ correctly, I just caught on to what that thing is doing!)

Last edited: