FishBeast

Hello! Just posting a few pics of my American cichlids! They are in with my bichirs right now in the bare 120 while I move some stuff around so I thought I'd take some pics. I don't have anything too exotic or rare. They are all farm raised except for the severum which is wild caught.

Spotted severum (Heros notatus)
IMG_4959.JPG

Firemouth (Thorichthys meeki)
IMG_4970.JPG

Jack Dempsey (Rocio octofasciata)
IMG_4969.JPG

Chocolate cichlid (Hypselacara temporalis)
IMG_4968.JPG

Electric Blue Acara (Andinoacara pulcher)
IMG_4972.JPG

Last edited:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
That Jack Dempsey had me at hello. Look at those gorgeous fins!

I like the Firemouth too because - well there's RED on it. I'm easy to please.

FishBeast

Super nice. I really like the acaras, and they have been popular in the hobby for decades (perhaps even more popular years ago). Even the little ones (e.g. L. curviceps) can be fun.
Thank you! I just looked up the curviceps... had no idea they could get so pretty! I don't see them around as much... Most stores seem to lean more heavily towards African cichlids. :)

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Thank you! I just looked up the curviceps... had no idea they could get so pretty! I don't see them around as much... Most stores seem to lean more heavily towards African cichlids. :)

Yes, that has been the down side of the popularity of Africans; lots of the old standbys have largely disappeared from the hobby, including some really nice ones. Aequidens curviceps (as it was called back then) was one of my first 'real' cichlids (I'd had angels, of course, but they don't count, since they're so different), and I really enjoyed them. Curviceps are pretty and easy to care for; I had three breeding pairs (they are monogamous) in a heavily planted 45L; one of my favourite tanks ever. Most of these species were first described more than 100 years ago, but Laetacara araguaiae, which is lovely, was described in 2009. I'd even do a soft-water tank if I could find some of these-

60759440f9cde0a69a74a9c42dc2c199.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Also a warning, most of the L. curviceps that are sold locally (and in the US in general) are actually L. dorsigera.

True enough. In fact, most of the Laetacara species, 7 at last count, are almost invariably sold as curviceps in LFS's. They're not all that difficult to tell apart if you do your homework and look at the fishes carefully, but curviceps is still my favourite.